GenieGo 2 Malfunction

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by stevenme, Feb 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I've been using a GenieGo version 2 for the last 6 months without any issues. Recently it has started malfunctioning with blinking amber, purple, and even blinking red indicators. Programs set to record hang on "waiting to prepare". Most of the time I can stream them directly but I just can't transcode them for download.

I had been using the DECA interface in a bedroom near a Genie Mini, so I tried changing the location to be right next to my Genie. I was hoping for the best but it was the exact same failures in the new location. Since the GG2 was now near my router I disconnected the coax and connected it to the router over ethernet. This appears to have solved the issue, mostly. There is still one strange issue. I have recorded a series (I Spy) off a local (OTA) channel that plays fine on the Genie DVR, but will not transcode (any of the episodes) or stream directly. If I attempt to transcode or stream it, it hangs for a minute or so, then the GG2 starts blinking red and reboots. The funny thing is other shows recorded from the same OTA channel transcode/stream fine.

So two questions. Does it seem likely that the DECA interface in my GG2 has failed (or is very marginal) forcing me to use ethernet? Are there certain OTA shows that will not record on the GG2 (copyright, etc)?

Anyway, I'm glad to have most of the functionality back, but I can't figure out what could have caused these issues. Thanks,

Steve

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You might want to check the output on the power supply.

DECA consumes considerable power so I'm thinking that if disabling DECA helps, it may be starving for watts. If you've got a GenieMini or H25 power supply that you can use as a test, I'd be all over trying that.

3. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Interesting thought, I'll try swapping the PS with the mini and see if that solves the problem. Thanks!

Steve