GenieGo 2 Out Of Home bit rates on 4G

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by xmguy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Ok, just bought a GenieGo / Nomad 2. I really like it for its "slingbox like" streaming. But notice the Android app I'm using seems to be slowing the bit rate down on a very solid and fast 4G LTE connection on my Galaxy S5 and Verizon. WiFi is great with 1.5 Mbps bit rates. But 4G LTE is 245 Kbps. I used to use a Hava Platinum HD (competition to Slingbox) , and on the same connection I got at least 600-800Kbps bit rates. I tried to start the GenieGo app on WiFi then migrate to 4G LTE, found out that the bit rate stayed the same as it was on WiFi. But when I exited the stream/app it reverted back to lower speeds. I don't see a manual override setting for this. Nothing for the GenieGo either. Ideas anyone?

2. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    No way to change anything, it's by design and they control the streaming rate.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My impression of the Nomad/GenieGo is that it was designed to transcode shows from your home system and then temporarily 'transfer' to one of your devices so you can watch without any internet connectivity. Streaming was added later. There are a number of limitations with a GenieGo, so if you're going to be watching where you have connectivity, I'd get a Slingbox.

4. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I've got a "Slingbox" (Hava Platinum HD). But I didn't like having to send IR Commands and wait for the receiver to get them then relay it back. Selecting a recording that way was painful. I like the way the GenieGo app lays the content selection out. Just the streaming rate kills me.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am afraid you are going to have to choose the best of the two evils.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yep, I was streaming one of the NCAA games today on my only android device and it went to 'Audio only'.

I've seen that with WatchESPN on my iPad but never from GenieGo. But sometimes the local speed doesn't support GG. That's what the downloads are for.

7. AmazinglySmooth

AmazinglySmooth New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    The iOS version doesn't even let you stream unless you are on wifi...