GenieGo 2 Reset Storage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by stevenme, Jul 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I've tried just about every way to reset (erase all content) from my GG2 storage without success. I've tried the 2 minute reset button hold, 30 seconds, 5 seconds, etc. Nothing seems to be able to clear the storage. I started with a USB flash drive in the GG2 and I thought that if I reboot it and removed the drive it would force it to reformat storage, but amazingly it did not. Having booted it in this state makes me think there could be memory corruption so now I definitely want to clear memory.

Has anyone else had a GG2 that was difficult to clear? Are there any other tricks I can try? I suppose I can keep trying the 2 minute procedure hoping it will eventually work, but that seems like a long shot.

Thanks!

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    On GG2, 15 sec red button push clears all settings and internal memory.

External USB memory must go into a PC or MAC and be wiped there.

1 person likes this.
  3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nope, my problem is sometimes it shows the additional memory stick and sometimes it doesn't. So I'm not sure what's going on.

4. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Weirdest thing, I formatted the USB using Windows 7 as exFat, and now my GG2 won't recognize it anymore. I've tried resetting the GG, unplugging/plugging the USB, Power off/on, nothing. Now it refuses to use anything beyond the internal 16gb. This USB drive has always worked so I'm not sure what the issue is now. I guess I'll try another drive and see if that works.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    exFat won't do it.. FAT32 is what you need.

6. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    So I reformatted it as Fat32, and the GG2 still would not recognize it. I tried a new 64gb USB (3.0) formatted as Fat32 and same thing. When I first plug the drive in the light flickers for maybe 5 seconds, but then goes out.

My question is, how is it suppose to work? Do you just plug in the drive and it uses the storage? Does it require a reset? Should I expect to see the additional memory when I look at the system info in the app? It always shows 15.1gb total storage when it should display almost 80gb.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Once you hook it up you have to go into the settings for the GenieGO in the app and tell it you want to use the drive. Not sure about the newer app but with the old Mac App you were prompted to add the drive when you went into the app after adding the drive.

8. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    That explains it, I'm using the iPad App and I don't think it supports adding external storage because I never see a prompt. I'll try using my Mac with the app to add the storage. I wish there was documentation that explained the process, I spent a lot of time with trial and error trying to get this working. Thanks for the info!

9. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Yep you have to use PC/Mac for some reason

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

10. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    It took a couple of attempts but I eventually got the GenieGo Mac app to pop up the "ok to format?" message. I guess if someone only uses a phone or tablet you are out of luck if you want to add storage.

Funny thing was it really messed up the GG2 for an hour or two. The light was flashing different colors (I saw red, purple, orange/amber) but rather than mess with it I just left it alone. When I checked on it a few hours later it was steady blue and it has been that way for over a day now.

Very flakey device, but when it works it's awesome. Thanks for the help!