GenieGo for Android 1.5.001 - Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by kpfleming, Nov 7, 2013.

1. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    (moving the discussion to a thread with a more effective title)

Pros:

- Allows storage on SD card
    - Supports Out-of-Home access (streaming and preparation only, no downloads)
    - Video quality *appears* to be improved

Cons:

- Requires sideloading on many devices that are in the 'supported' list
    - Video player now displays a small whirling progress indicator during skip-forward and skip-back, making those processes take longer
    - Deleting a downloaded show does not remove it from the 'on Android' list immediately, but the 'Play' button converts to 'Watch Now', even if there is no Internet connection

2. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Oh, more fun... this morning I finished watching a show, deleted it, and return to the list of shows on my tablet. I then tried to watch another show, and got a 'Cannot find show' dialog box. I tried three more, same result.

I exited the app and restarted it, and those same shows played as they should have. Yay for software bugs.

3. BMWBig6

BMWBig6 New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Has anyone been able to get this app to work on an Android tablet yet? I'm trying to get this to work on a (stock, unrooted) Dell Venue tablet with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. It installs fine, but when you try and open the app all you see is a blank (black) screen then Android says the app is unresponsive and prompts you to close the process and report the failure online.

I see from the Google Play reviews that there are a number of tablet users who were not successful in installing/using this app. I'm not sure I can trust the list of officially supported devices because the app works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (not listed as supported) but doesn't work on my iPad (supported, haha!).

4. kpfleming

kpfleming Cool Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I use it on an Asus Transformer Infinity tablet (supposedly on the supported list, but the app is not available in the Play Store). The issues I know about are posted above in this thread.

5. BMWBig6

BMWBig6 New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    DirecTV just released version 2.0 of the Android GenieGo app in the Play store today. I was very hopeful, however I downloaded it and it still doesn't work on my Dell Venue tablet.