GenieGO Ipad Air 2 Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by TDockUSC, Aug 18, 2015.

1. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Hey guys quick question. First, let me explain my setup:

I have a Genie with GenieGO. My Macbook and iPhone can see the GenieGo and work both at home and OOH. I can view and download playlists no issues. The same was true of my old iPad 2 which I just upgraded an iPad Air 2.

The iPad Air 2 can see all my receivers with the DirecTV app, I can control the receivers and see my recordings. When I try to register the app with GenieGo, the app tells me "We couldn't activate your GenieGO" and gives me this error code: (4003.)

I'm at a loss. I know the GenieGO is configured correctly because it works with other devices and worked with my old iPad. Is this is iPad Air 2 issue, the new app or something I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I wold reboot your iPad. Also, a bit off topic, you should have waited a few more weeks to get the iPad as there are rumors a new one is coming pretty soon.

3. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    I've deleted the app, rebooted and reinstalled the app several times. Same results.

On the other note...it was a company purchase.

4. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Don't know a thing about the iPad issue, but just wanted to say "Go Cocks!", as my daughter just enrolled there this fall. Beautiful campus, and the people have been great to her thus far. Always will love my Vols first, but the Gamecocks are now my next favorite team.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Starting with the easy stuff, did you reboot the GG2?

Also if you don't mind losing the recordings stored in the GG2, press and hold the reset button for 15 secs. That will clear out all content in it. Won't hurt anything on the DVRs, just completely wipe the GG2.

BTW, after the GG2 reboots its not unusual for it to return to a normal state for as long as 10 mins. When your iphone and macbook will see all the content again.

6. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    I've already rebooted the GenieGo also. No change in issue.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Some more thoughts.

Is your iPad cellular and was cell off during the activation? Meaning turn on airplane mode and then turn on just Wi-Fi and verify you are on the same network, not a guest network.

Did your employer load apps or anything in the new iPad 's vs the old one?

Did you do a backup of the old one and restore to the new one via iTunes? I've seen that mess up apps even ones re-downloaded.

And a possible workaround if all else fails. Download the iPhone client to the iPad. If it activates you have it working. I like the iPhone client better for GG anyway.

8. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Hey NR4P, really appreciate your help.

The answer to the first two is no, but the third is a possibility. I simply backed up my old iPad and restored it onto the new one. Aside from deleting and downloading the app again, what else can I do?

I'm also going to try the iPhone app when I get home today.

9. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    UPDATE:

So I downloaded the iPhone GenieGO app onto my iPad and it worked like a charm. It connected to GG immediately, while the native iPad app still says "We couldn't activate your GenieGO."

At this point is it safe to assume this is APP issue?

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Since you did backup the old ipad and restore to the new one, I am betting that's the issue. You backed up certain settings and probably encryption keys tied to the old ipad that ties the content to a particular ipad. By putting them in the new ipad there's something besides the app that is out of sync. The only way to fix it, copy any photos and videos to your computer (assuming your email is on a server it doesn't have to be copied) and wipe the iPad completely. Back to out of box state. Do not do a restore, go to App store, download the app and I bet it works. And then add all your apps from the App store, not restore. But now the bad part, you will burn another GG license. The iphone and ipad app will take up 2 GG licenses. You can't delete the iphone app license for 30 days. If you haven't used 4 thus far, then no problem.

So you can decide what you want to do.

And I suspected the restore issue because I had a similar problem once with a different app that used encryption. The wipe and start over fixed it.

Good luck with your choice.