GenieGo now no longer allows local broadcast programming to be downloaded to mobile devices

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by volkl, Apr 17, 2014.

1. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    It used to be that PPV, VOD, and special PPV events could not be downloaded to mobile devices.

Now, local broadcasts cannot, per a statement dated 4/17/14 at D* support database.

This is a major functional loss to GenieGo.

-Volkl

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    do you know of the "effective" date? I am trying now and is preparing a show recorded on one of my local networks

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm wondering if they are referring to OTA.

4. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I don't know for sure. But when I asked the customer service employee, who read the notice verbatim, what the date of the notice in the system was, she said 4/17/14.

I have two episodes of CBS Survivior, one over a week old, and the one yesterday. Both are watchable on the DVR, and perhaps watchable in the home network on the ipad, but both cannot be downloaded to be watched later on the mobile device.

I was aware of the PPV, VOD limitations, but the customer service employee read the now local broadcast shows cannot be downloaded.

-V

The CBS shows were OTA, but not ATSC, they were from D* rebroadcast.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am preparing Cosmos from Fox and so far so good

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    This may be related to the 'Live Streaming' problem from another thread . . . I just requested DAFI to transcode a CBS 'Criminal Minds' about 10 minutes ago and nothing is happening.

Edit: My mistake, that DVR was busy.

'Nashville' from ABC last night is preparing. Maybe we need a better definition of 'Local'.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I recorded tonight's episode of BBT from our local NBC station, transcoded it and loaded onto my iPad. Works fine.

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Transcoded Hells's Kitchen from local Fox, downloaded and it played just fine.

9. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Glad that what the CSR said is not completely accurate.

Don't know what is going on.

Can anyone transcode/download a CBS show?

-V

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm transcoding one now

Transcoded and downloaded, no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm sorry. I must have been paying more attention to the hockey than to what I was typing.

Obviously BBT (Big Bang Theory) is on CBS, not NBC (if BBT was on NBC, they would have cancelled it years ago).

12. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I downloaded Grey's Anatomy (ABC), recorded last night (not OTA), and it plays fine on GenieGo app on iPad.

I hope this functionality isn't being taken away, especially for ABC and CBS, who don't put their shows up on their mobile apps right away (or at all).

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It really wouldn't make any sense, other than true OTA with an AM21 etc.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But in RAD's review of the GG2, he said they have added OTA when using an AM21.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    And it was still working as of last night for OTA via the AM21.

16. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Both episodes of CBS Survivor are NOT available to download or watch on the iPad (in home network, not Out-of-Home Access). Cannot find another program that behaves this way on the DAFI.

-V

Using DAFI v 2.6.5

1 person likes this.
  17. Sully

Sully AllStar

Dec 5, 2005
    Decorah, IA
    I just discovered that Agents of Shield doesn't show up in my list of programs that can be downloaded to my iPhone. I'm using GenieGo and other programs from that same DVR show up. Strange! I'm going to restart everything (DVRs, Nomad) in the morning and see if that resolves it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

18. Sully

Sully AllStar

Dec 5, 2005
    Decorah, IA
    No go. I can't get Agents of Shield to show up on my list of available programs to download. All other programs recorded from each of my 3 DVRs do show up. Is this by design? Are there new restrictions in place to limit the shows that are available to download?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

19. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    After the firmware update, the newest episode of Survivor is able to be downloaded to a mobile device.

-V