GenieGO Separate Preparing from Downloading

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rumpleteazer, Jul 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rumpleteazer

rumpleteazer New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I found an older thread that sort of addresses my question, but not exactly. Is there a way to separate the Preparing process from the Downloading process?

I bought a flash drive so I could hold a lot of prepared shows on the GG. What I want to do is to pick and choose which shows to then download to my iPad. I don't have enough room to download everything to the iPad. Also, I don't really want to use the Autodownload since my flash drive isn't big enough to hold every recording I have, and I don't always know ahead of time which shows I'll want.

So in my ideal world, I could go to the GG and select individual episodes or entire shows that are currently on my DVR and tell the GG to prepare them. Then at some point in the future I could select those and download them to my iPad. Is this possible?

The closest I think I can come is to set up a PC do the preparing work, right? Set up the PC to either Autodownload or actually download some episodes. As I understand it, that will prepare them all and then download them. Even if I delete them from the PC, they will still stay prepared on the flash drive. Then I can download whatever I want to the iPad. The problem I see with this is that I'll have to waste a ton of hard drive space on a computer. On which I never actually plan to watch the shows.

Is that the best I can do?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, shows will only download while on your network and while the app is in the foreground. So you can prepare the shows and once you open the app, selectively choose which shows you want to download.

3. rumpleteazer

rumpleteazer New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    How do I start the preparing process, though? From the app all I can do is download.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Tap download. Preparing will start. The download can occur after the preparation completes.
    If you use an app after preparing starts, close the app and then the download wont occur.

5. rumpleteazer

rumpleteazer New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    The download won't automatically resume when I restart the app? What happens to the partially downloaded file?

So if I want 11 episodes of one show and 6 of another, I go to each episode and hit download. Then close the app. I might use the app for other things over the next 2 weeks. Then I have a trip. I go to the app and download 4 episodes of the first show and 5 of the second. Those 9 episodes download to the iPad, relatively quickly because they're already prepared. Do I have that right?

Sort of separate question. Does the autodownload tie to hardware? If I set Autodownload from a given iPad, I understand that the episodes will be prepared as soon as they are recorded. Will they be downloaded as soon as I open the app? What if I set the autodownload from a PC? Do they get downloaded to the PC, the app, or neither?

Thanks for the answers.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you set a program to download this starts a 2 step process, the file will prepare and then download the the device. You can always cancel the download process and download the next time you want to take those shows on road. There is no way to download without preparing right after. You must cancel the download process manually.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think if you're downloading 11 episodes of one show and 6 of another, those shows seem to be prime candidates for Auto-download. So you set those series up to auto download. the next time you turn on your device, you'll get a notification that XYZ shows are available for download (total number of shows from the two series). You just select the 17 you want.

8. rumpleteazer

rumpleteazer New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    This is the part that I don't quite get. When I tried this on the computer, the shows not only prepared, but automatically downloaded to the computer. Does this just work differently on the iPad? Or did I do something wrong?

9. rumpleteazer

rumpleteazer New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Did you mean to say "There is no way to prepare without downloading right after."?

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    after I tell the computer which shows to transcode/prep for downloading, I typically exit out of the desktop software. If you stay in the software, you'll have to cancel the download (assuming you don't want the files on your desktop). Then in the AM, I turn on my iPad and download the shows I want if they weren't already selected to auto download to the ipad.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    correct. UNLESS, you stop the download process. But by not having the iPad with the app running, nothing will download UNTIL next time you open the app at which time you can cancel the shows you do not want to download.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk