genietogo update for andriod

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dconfer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1 of 68
    dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I just downloaded a new version and it streams outside your home network. It even does the streaming over the cell network. Just played around with it for a little bit and it works so far. You can even choice to put the files onto your sd card.

Looks like you can download the files to your device across the cell network also. There is a button to download to device. I selected it and it looks like its going to work.

2. Nov 5, 2013 #2 of 68
    PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Happy Happy Happy.......I have been waiting for this update...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

3. Nov 5, 2013 #3 of 68
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Cell access is, I believe, up to your provider. And while you may be able to stream that way, you can only download on the home network. (unless things have really changed!)

4. Nov 6, 2013 #4 of 68
    dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    It prepared it for download. When it came time to download it failed and said I had to be on my home network. Was really excited when it prepared it.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #5 of 68
    Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I played with it a little bit last night, and it isn't bad at all. Better late than never??? Yeah I suppose. Thanks DirecTV. At least this wait wasn't as ridiculously long as waiting for GenieGO to come to Android on the initial release.

NOW.... I get to sit here and wonder what next cool technology that they will release that will be will be released to iPhone first, though to be honest I can't really think of anything else that I want at this moment.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #6 of 68
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Just got the update automatically on my GSIII. I'm at work, so I imagine I need to authorize OOH on this device once I'm back on my home network. I'm pretty excited about this, although I honestly don't know how often I'll use this feature. Still, it's a very cool feature to have. The WOW factor is definitely there.

7. Nov 6, 2013 #7 of 68
    Skoach

Skoach New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Pickerington...
    Just downloaded on my GS3. Tried via cellular and everything seems to work perfectly! You do have to change a option on the phone to allow cellular streaming. No changes required at home or on home network.

Let's hope it is as good as it initially looks!

8. Nov 6, 2013 #8 of 68
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Is that correct? IF so, I guess it would explain why I can't currently see my GenieGo via my DROID 4, but I can see it from my iPad. I would have thought that once a device was authorized to the GenieGo, it wouldn't be necessary to reauthorize it when OOH became available for it.

9. Nov 6, 2013 #9 of 68
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Now cry babies can't say iOS gets everything first.... As the iOS app has not been updated yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Doesn't iOS already have OOH?? Or are you talking about cellular data streaming, Peds?

Bill, as far as I understood, you have to authorize each device for OOH while on your home network. Skoach said he/she was using it (OOH?) via cell network and that it just updated. Not sure if Skoach is home or not. Perhaps it will work without in home authorization of your device. I'll check it out myself in a bit.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I am still stuck in the belief that cellular streaming depends on your carrier and what plan of theirs you have.... No?

12. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    So I just tested from work. I did not get the updated app on my GSIII until this morning at work. I went into the OOH access menu, selected test OOH, and voila! My phone told me I was good to go. Currently watching 2 Broke Girls directly from my home DVR!

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    OK. Thanks. I guess that I don't recall authorizing OOH separately from authorizing basic access to the GenieGo when I bought my iPad. This may be because OOH was already available for the iPad when I initially set it up.

14. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I had already set up OOH for my wife's iPad and iPhone, plus my laptop. I guess once it's setup, it's setup.

I really like the fact that this updated app let's me choose where to store the files I load onto my phone. Since I have a 32gig sd card, I would prefer to store them there.

15. mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Since I had to side load the app to my Toshiba Thrive, wiil I have to side load the new app?

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, OOH on cellular is not yet supported on iOS

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, is the app. the apps checks for WiFi connection and if does not find out, it won't stream. When I had my iPhone 5 JB, I was using a tweak called 3G unrestrictor, this basically fools the app that is connected on WiFi when on cellular.

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/677581-new-3g-unrestrictor-3g-3gs-replaces-trickerthreeg-voipover3g.html

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Of course the app has to be enabled, or a workaround found such as you posted that fools the system. But the carrier can cut that off, or charge for it- again, depending on the carrier.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, the carries can't do anything about it. is on the app. This tweak came first when carriers were blocking FT on cellular. but it was not the carrier, it was a limitation built in the app face time app by apple since it was agreed that how is was going to work. this tweak fool the app to think it was wifi when in reality is cel. carriers would have to shut everything down, not just one app

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    You really think a large carrier cannot restrict cell traffic to just voice and text?