1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get a genie upgrade for dead HR24? - protection plan -no contract

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Matt L, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    I have a number of receivers on my account, all but one owned. The one leased HR24 died, code 14 bad HD. I installed a SWM a few years back, I do all my own installs, as I am much more competent than any of the techs that have been sent out. I have the protection plan, through as a 10+ year sub I read I really don't need it. Anyway I would like to get a Genie to replace the dead HR24, but have zero interest in a service call, what are the odds D will send one as an upgrade under the protection plan?

I have a 4K display, no plans at the moment to do D 4k as there is so little. But would like to future proof if I decide to continue with D.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    call and discuss with more then one (!) CSR

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would [gently] open it and would replace the HDD for your own (up to 2 TB) ; when and IF they will ask to send it back, just put back your old original HDD

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    in that case, I would ask for HR54 and C61k client, you should take advantage to be immersed into new world of UHD PQ, just for start … you'll be pleasantly surprised and will not go back, regardless how short list of UHD/HLG programs !
    BTW, does your TV support HDR with HLG ?

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To future proof the system you need either a 54 with a C61K or the new HS17 system. The only other Genie option is a 44. I have one, it's a fine DVR. Easily the best DVR I've ever had. Not future proof.

Rich

6. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Yeah I'm aware of having to use a client to feed my 4K display rather than the genie. Not sure I care at this point. Limited content on D, I get all the 4k I want from streaming and Disks. And quite honestly the upscaled feed from my HR 24 looks great. At this point I do not believe my TV supports HDR with HLG, Just HRD and Dolby, it's the TCL 55R615. I'm more than happy with it coming from my 10 year old 1080p plasma, even though it has a drawback in viewing angle, but that is the only way I can fault it.

What kind of upgrade does the service plan cover? Before I call I'd like to have as much info as I can.

On a somewhat related note what is the best way to dispose of old D receivers they do not want back? I went to my basement closet of dead equipment and counted 12 receivers of various vintage all dead. Not sure the landfill is the best place for them.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I went from a 10 year old plasma to a 4K set too. We have four 4K sets in the house and no D* 4K setup. For the same reasons as you. The upgrades are for the 17s and the 54s and 44s. You should get a complete setup. Our town has an electronics recycling center in the dump. That's the only place I've ever disposed of electronics at. ATT seems to want them back, you might give them a call.

Rich

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's depend of your DTV internal history … need discuss it with CSR

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    In CA we had some companies who recycle metals from the devices; I recall our (not exist anymore) company had contract with one, they regularly brought a few palettes with big boxes; all our old CRT monitors, servers, etc goes there plus people did toss own equipment - TV, VCR, etc

10. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    I wish ATT wanted the boxes back, but they are old, HD TIvos, and old HR20's and D told me to toss them. I've pulled most of the drives out and occasionally use them for stuff, but most are tiny and of little use. I've looked around locally but other than the yearly community wide electronics drop off not much out there. I was able to dispose of a number of old TV's that way including the behemoth RCA 38" wide screen with the built int D HD receiver. All 300+ lbs of it...

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No Best Buy in your area? They recycle electronics.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Our township dump is a wonderful place. We have no problems such as yours. We also pay sky high property taxes that keep that dump running and wonderful. Tradeoffs...

Rich

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My county landfill takes old TVs for a $10 fee ... otherwise recycling is free, leaving garbage is charged by the ton ($40 per ton minimum $20 charge for county and adjoining county residents - $100 per ton for distant trash). Although it did cost me a new set of tires when I dropped of my TV - I didn't see what cut my tires but I had two tires go 100% flat within a few miles of leaving the dump.

I considered trying to recycle at Best Buy or Staples but I was not sure they would take my TV.