1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get an HRxxx unit for SD only?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bleeman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. bleeman

bleeman New Member

Sep 14, 2009
    One of our existing R10's is starting to give up the ghost. I noticed DirecTV is offering one of the HD DVR's for $99 right now. Will getting one of the HD units work with my existing SD only setup? Eventually we want to move to HD but it's not a pressing issue at the moment, and I was trying to decide between getting the existing unit upgraded at someplace like Weaknees but, I thought it might be time to migrate over to the DirecTV HD units.

Assuming the HD unit would work in our SD environment (i.e. we wouldn't be swapping out the dish, switches etc.) besides the obvious, that we couldn't watch HD channels would we lose access to any of the other features like the DoublePlay, network connectivity, etc.?

Thanks!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It'll work fine as long as they don't have to come install it. If they'll just ship it to you, you'll be fine.

3. bleeman

bleeman New Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks spartanstew! I'm hoping for the just ship it to me option so I don't have to schedule the install. We have 4 R10's now all setup with their dual tuners and our original unit has been flaking out, so I just want to swap it out with the new HD unit, gain a little storage space and check out some of the new features. Then if we can convince our 12 year old 40" Mitsubishi Tube set to "die" we will take the plunge to migrate up to HD.

While the HD would be nice, I'm more interested in the larger buffers, the networking capabilities, and the ability to increase the storage capacity.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You will have to keep HD Access on the account but watching HD shows even on a SD tv is nice.

5. bleeman

bleeman New Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Shades,

So you're saying that with the HD series we will have to pay the HD access fee anyway? I didn't think we could even pull in the HD channels unless we had the new larger dish. Although I'm driving 4 R10's we only have the original 18" round dish. So does this mean I'll have to do the install anyway as we'll need the larger dish like our neighbors?

Thanks!

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As Shades228 noted, when you activate an HD receiver or DVR, you are required to add HD service to your account. The HD DVR will work just fine with an SD TV, but you are not getting the full benefit of what you will be paying for. If you order the DVR from DirecTV, you should get the dish and installation at no additional cost.

7. bleeman

bleeman New Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks for the additional information Carl6. I was hoping to avoid the installation so as not to have to figure how/when to take time off for it. Same with the additional fee since as you said we wouldn't be getting the full advantage of it.

I guess now it's time to determine if this will be worth it, or if we just wait and go to 3 R10's until we're ready for an HD TV. I've been parallelling my R10's with a Windows 7 Media Center PC and so far its been working very well. I was using it to control one of the R10's via the IR blaster duing my testing, but could just as easiliy get a standard receiver too, although I would lose the dual tuner capability with this approach. It's too bad there isn't a way to drop a card in the PC that would "talk" DirecTV.

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    well my situation may have been different, but in Feb 08 the shipped me an hr20 and activated it without hd package.
    this was a retention issue due to erroneous billing and shutoff issues that was their fault so that may have been why I did not need hd package.

however, within a week I did have it :)

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    This is definitely NOT true for MPEG4 only local markets - D* is ONLY using H/HR2x units in these markets now.

10. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That is correct, and I did not pay attention to where the poster was located. If you are in a market where your local stations come via mpeg4, then the HR-series DVR, and H-series receivers, are required. In that case however, the legacy SD products won't get the locals at all. Those markets are either those that were formerly on the 72.5 satellite, or new SD markets that did not have any service before.

11. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    You could order an R22 from Newegg for ~$85 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882250007

They were originally intended for SD setups but are actually HR21's in disguise, featuring a 320g hard drive. Since you have an SD-only setup the HD requirement should not automatically attach itself to the unit, you can install it yourself in place of the R-10, and you can upgrade to HD programming later with a call to Directv (who should install the new dish you need for free).

Everybody wins :)

12. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I remember when I ordered my HR2x, there was no choice but for them to come out and give me a new dish. I couldn't have it shipped and could not get it without the HD package. Yeah, it stinks to not be able to see HD but I prefer the widescreen format. At the time my D-TiVo was dying and it was either go cable or upgrade. Things may have changed but not sure about that.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Good suggestion;

However the OP mentioned wanting to access to features like network connectivity, and Double Play and I don't know if these are available on the R22 without HD access even with the latest update.

Perhaps someone else could chime in with the correct info.

14. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, those features do work on the R22 (SD or HD).

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    OP is in Texas and I cannot recall any mpeg 4 markets there. Not saying that there aren't any but I can't think of any. Hence my statement.