1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Rid of Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDtoshiba, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 5, 2007 #1 of 17
    HDtoshiba

HDtoshiba Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Anyone know of a way to get rid of DTV and not pay the cancelation fees??

2. Jan 5, 2007 #2 of 17
    wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    Perhaps do a search as this was discussed yesterday or post this in the proper forum, like the GENERAL forum.

3. Jan 5, 2007 #3 of 17
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is no "way"...
    Other then calling them and discussing with them.

You will need to explain to DirecTV on why you feel you should not have to pay the cancelation fee.

4. Jan 5, 2007 #4 of 17
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I think you should add "that you signed a contract agreeing to pay".:)

5. Jan 5, 2007 #5 of 17
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    "Technically" probably none of "signed" anything.

In MOST cases... it is supposed to be explained to you when you are activating a new receiver... or upon detail (and sent) if you ask for it.

There are however, cases.. where people where not told about the 2yr agreement, and that is where it gets "sticky".

6. Jan 5, 2007 #6 of 17
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I definitely physically signed a 2-year agreement when I got my HR20. My copy is in my desk, I just looked at it.

Supposedly, the installers are required to have you sign. It is on a page with an installer checklist.

7. Jan 5, 2007 #7 of 17
    Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Same here, I had to sign it when they did my install for the HR20

8. Jan 5, 2007 #8 of 17
    Crimson

Crimson Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the best and only fair way is if they are somehow not providing you with the service you agreed to. If they cannot resolve a legit complaint you have, then they are in breach of contract and you should not have to fullfill your end of it.

9. Jan 5, 2007 #9 of 17
    gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    I think it gets sticky at the point where people cannot tolerate the HR20 any longer. I have to rbr about every other day due to the aspect ratio change I see after alot of trick play. So with the girth of problems, I would imagine you could just pick one. Say that you cannot go through with the agreement as they have not provided appropriate service that works.

If the HR20 worked great and you called after a few months and wanted to terminate your 2 year agreement, there is no way that would fly. I think any rational person knows that much. I feel the "sticky" part is the HR20 still not working 100%. So there are options.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    What is it that's making you want to leave? That may or may not have some relevance.

How much longer do you have left on your agreement? It might be possible to suspend your service for the remainder of your commitment period (as the commitment "clock" keeps ticking while your account is in suspension). Just don't call and tell them you "want to suspend my account for the remainder of my commitment period".

11. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    There is one way that I can think of. Cancel after your commitment is up. :D

12. lewah33

lewah33 AllStar

Nov 2, 2006
    I'm pretty sure D* only charges about 12.50 for each month left on your commitment. If you own your boxes, you could sell them on Ebay/Craigslist and try to make up the $.

13. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    try tellin g them your moving to an apartment that has no accessible area to mount a dish or that the do not allow holes to be drilled through their walls. If you know an apartment manager maybe they could send D* a letter ot talk to them with you on the phone.

14. HDtoshiba

HDtoshiba Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Well the reason why I plan on leaving is two fold.

1.The fact that I feel like I have wasted so much money with Dt*, I mean with the purchases for the boxes and all.

2.The other is the fact that the HR20 doesn't work properly. When you have to re-boot the box everyday there is something def wrong with it. If they could provide a good working hdef dvr than i would stay.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    For #1... depending on the hardware... there is still a small re-sale market for some of those receivers...

For #2... I just ask that you wait one more release.

16. Osmani

Osmani Banned User

Dec 20, 2006
    True, but if you read it I bet it has a mandatory arbitration clause or at elast mediation clause in it that at elast madates the expense be shared by both parties and that it take place in a specific place like Denver. This obviously makes it cost prohbitive for you to arbitrate a dispute over 12.50 a month and the cost of suuing and losing challenging it not worth taking when all you are talking about is 12.50 a month. That is done on purpose BTW. I don't mean that as a negative or positive aginst DTV in any way, they just got good advice from their lawyers and it is done pretty much nationwide by service companies with service contracts. Now if some rich guy wants to blow his money suing to challenge this and maybe win, that['s a risk they can take because at the end all they lose is they don't get the 12.50 from that guy and future folks a nd then they just re-write the contract and that only if it's a loss that applies nationwide, which it probably would not.

17. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Here's a thought, don't sign an agreement you are unwilling to fulfill. In your defense, D* released the HR20 way too soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.