Getting 4K

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kevinwmsn, Apr 14, 2020.

1. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm trying to get a 4K mini, but the CS rep tells me I need a Genie2. I have HR54, I thought a 4K mini would work with a HR54. However, DirectTV system won't allow him to do it. I don't want a new DVR and lose recordings, reset up series recordings, lose the ability to have Local Channel connector. I am in process of moving and would like to know if I could just swap out a mini and be ok. I know there isn't a lot on 4K, I just want to be ready when the content is ready.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The 54 can send 4K to the 61K mini. Call back and talk to another CS. If not, try a third party vendor like Solid Signal.

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Yup, call back. Some CSRs are clueless. You had the misfortune of getting one of them.

4. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I think they have to add something to the antenna, reverse something?

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    A reverse band LNB. You don't actually need one right now, but you will at some point when the 4k signals are sent from the reverse band transponders.

6. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I will be getting a new dish install as this is a new house. I would think this would not be a having the right LNB issue. Does the HR54 not see the LNB with Reverse Band I am not sure if this a "system issue" or not. I could try to talk the installer into installing a 61K mini. If I got to wait it out till something better comes out that could support multiple 4K TVs and some more than 2 channels, I could. I still remember having the HD Tivo back in the day when we had only a handful of HD channels.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If you Are adding 4K and Having a NEW Dish installed --The installer will Provide a RB-LNB (as Stated ABOVE) it is NOT required to Receive current 4K service. However D* will Install a RB as When it is required -it will NOT result in a lot of un-needed Service request -When Customers would need it.

The HR54 will See the RB and it it will display 7 tuners --1-5 for HD -6 & 7 for 4K viewing and recording. The HR54 will only stream to one C61 at a Time.
    The HS-17 --Will Stream 4k to 2-c61K's (however) as per D* --You can only have MINI's on your Account -having a HS-17 installed.

Keeping your Hr-54 - will allow you to have Additional HDDVR's or HD receivers and Mini's on you account ( Ditectv POLICY)

Your choice.

rd76 and Rich like this.
  8. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I couldn't get them to add the 61K mini receiver, but maybe I can wait a year or 2 when there would be more 4K content out there. Maybe in another year or 2 there will be a better DVR that can hand off multiple 4K Streams(3 or more) at once to the minis. I think we are in the late 90s all over again and High Def is all new.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    DO you have a 4K Ready TV? or Did the Installer NOT have one with him?

10. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I have a 4K ready TV.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    file an FCC complaint. the CSR'S are just jerking you around. the genie HR 54 will stream one 4K stream!! i would put the mini in the living room and the main genie in the bedroom since the genie won't do 4K only the minis will.. the reason i suggested filing an FCC report.. is sometimes it's easier to work with the lady of the office of the president. than to deal with 40 cent a day rice workers..

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many minis do you currently have and what are they?

Do you have any other receivers?

And I’d just have them do the swap when you get it installed at the new house. You’ll be going into a new contract anyway so might as well get the new mini as well so you will get out of contract for the move and the mini at the same time.

That could equal better discounts in the future.

A different csr would probably solve the issue. But do not wait because of one csr that is wrong.

And don’t wait on a new DVR. That may never come.