Getting cigarette smoke out of a LED tv?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by armophob, Nov 23, 2014.

1. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I was given a 60" LED as barter for some work I did.

I knew the guy smoked, but he said he quit before he bought the tv.

Now that it is my house, it is like walking past a fireplace.

I scrubbed it down with Formula 409, and then rubbing alcohol.

But it appears to be saturated inside.

Any ideas?

Open it up and then what?
    Febreeze the circuit boards?
    That can't be good for them.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Exactly, keep it open, put it outside for a couple months. Don't spray fragnance to PCB, but to internal sides of tv case.

3. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Couple months?
    Is that a subtle way of saying put it right where they pick up my trash to air it out?
    I am not past that as an option.
    But it will be my last.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I had a freezer that lost power during a hurricane once and all the stuff in it rotted. It stunk to high heavens.
    The insurance man gave me money to replace it if I could not get the smell out.
    He told me to buy a bag of charcoal briquettes, slice open the bag on the large flat side and place it in the refrigerator for a week and then open it up and take the bag out of the freezer.
    The charcoal absorbed all the smell.
    Since then I keep a few small, 10 to 12 inch cardboard boxes of charcoal in the house.
    You might try getting some and spread it out around the bottom of the TV on the stand and just let it lie there for awhile.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There are over 4000 chemical compounds in tobacco smoke. Given the sensitivity of electrical components your best option is to open the TV, clean the inside with compressed air and leave it open for a few days before buttoning it up.

6. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Yea,
    I reclaimed some home made furniture from a friend who hung himself.
    I put it all in a room with a dish full of vanilla extract and a bowl of Poo~Pourri.
    It worked. But it took a year.
    I think charcoal will be the answer, but I am gonna have to make a box aquarium for it with a fan for circulation.

I wish I could just part with it, but it is only a couple years old. I hate to see it die because it smells.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Another thing that you can do is to leave it on and that helps to burn the residue off of everything.

I had a 37" Vizio that had a strong electrical burning smell that just seemed it would not go away. I even called Vizio to check if any of that model was reported to be causing a fire and it was not.
    My son told me to leave it on all the time for a few days and just mute the sound and it would burn off eventually. It took about a week but it did go away. Could this be the smell you are getting ?

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I remember opening a computer of a chain smoker. His desktop (not the computer desktop) was gross enough with ashes everywhere, but you should have seen the inside of the computer.

It looked like someone had poured a bottle of dark molasses that had solidified all over everything.

I'd sell it on Craigslist to a smoker and put that against a new one.

If anyone in your house has a nose like my wifes, you'll never get it out.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yeah, I think the solution is:
    1. clean everything you can as best you can, inside and out
    2. leave it open, in a box, with charcoal rox
    3. fan will speed it up
    You probably could also speed things up by breaking the charcoal up for more surface area.

And I'd be happy to take it off your hands... ;) But you won't need to.

Peace,
    Tom

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Maybe put it in a giant bag with the charcoal and seal them in there together with a fan. You'd have some work to do to make it able to happen but maybe if it was a closed space the charcoal would do better sucking it in.

I don't think rice would work but who knows. It does with water.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yep.

Had guest that violated my house rule of not smoking in my home. Had to air out the guest room mattresses for months on my back deck.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Another thing that would help is to put a charcoal filter in the return air of your central air / heating system to filter the air in the whole house.
    All this stuff will take awhile to clear it up.
    At the same time you will be adjusting to the smell and it will bother you less and less.

I was married to a smoker and got used to it. After she left I could not believe how much difference there was in the smell of things.
    She came back for something one day and I carried it out to the car. The smell almost knocked me over when I opened the door to the car. mercy !

13. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am that guy.
    I quit smoking 12 years ago.
    I am so hyper sensitive to smells now and cigarettes run a close second to women's perfume.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Smokers insist they don't stink and will get mad as hell if you try to convince them otherwise.

15. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If they only knew how much better the green M&M's were than the yellow.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    back to the TS question - taking out the smell literally take time, do not expect quick solution
    only if you are skilled tech/engineer and can dismantle the tv to boards,case and a panel
    exclude the panel, washing every piece in hot water with enough soap(kitchen/dish soap) will kill the smell instantly
    the routine been done many times by myself (I'm not a tolerant to tobacco in any form)

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never ceases to amaze me what you come up with. Good idea.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My mother-in-law was a chain smoker. When she moved to NJ from western PA, she had to wait 6 weeks to get into the apartment that she really liked. She promised not to smoke in the house. Then she promised just to smoke in the bedroom and keep the door shut. Then she just smoked everywhere. Took weeks to get the smell out of the house. When she had to move to an assisted living home we took her really nice pine hutch and table and chairs. We never did get the smell out of the wood. It was a happy day when we broke down and bought a new set.

Rich

19. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Well, consider this.

Take the back of the tv off, get a roll of paper towels and a bottle of 2$ rubbing alcohol.

CRT's had to be unplugged for 24 hours before you worked on them. Not sure about flat screens.

Wipe the inside of the back panel with a paper towel "quite wet" with the alcohol. If the paper towel turns brownish, [ nicotine] you got a lot of wiping to do. I think the heat from the tv is just making the smell more pronounced.

If there is no brown residue, there's something else going on there. Nicotine film loves to stick to everything.

The alcohol evaporates very quickly, so don't worry about getting parts wet. Just avoid the power board to be on the safe side.

The charcoal idea sounds good. won't hurt anything, I use it in my basement.

Oh, yeah, Rich and I both had the back panels of our Panasonics off for small repair, it sounded scary to me, but I watched the repair guy take the back off and it was not as big of a deal as I thought. Have someone help you though, as mine is a 50" not 60.

Good luck, hope this helps.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just a reminder, the back panels on some sets such as the Panny plasmas have edges that are razor sharp. I'd be very careful. I saw the scars on the tech's hands. He learned the hard way.

Rich