1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Harmony Companion Remote working with DirecTV Genie Mini (C41W-500)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Aussie PC, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Aussie PC

Aussie PC New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I have just upgraded from the DirecTV - Genie HD DVR (HR44/500) to the DirecTV Genie 2 (HS17-100). I had no trouble using the Harmony Companion Remote (PN 915-000239) with the HR44/500 but with the DirecTV Genie 2 I sync the remote to a DirecTV Genie Mini (C41W-500). I am getting a significant delay when moving through the DirecTV menus. There is no delay using the DirecTV RC73 remote that comes with the DirecTV Genie 2 system.

I am working with Harmony and they have recommended changing the COMMAND REPEATS for the DirecTV Genie Min with no success.

Has anyone had success using the Harmony Companion Remote with the DirecTV Genie Mini (C41W-500) and DirecTV Genie 2 (HS17-100).

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    While doubtful this is the issue, I’d Check for how you have the client placed. The remote that came with it is likely using rf, where as your harmony is on IR so maybe you are having some interference? Is it working every time just taking longer or sometimes you have to hit the button twice?

3. Aussie PC

Aussie PC New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I really appreciate your suggestion. The client is setup to use RF. I didn't realize that Harmony Hub communicates via IR. I moved the client and Harmony Hub to the top shelf of my unit (they were on different shelves) and then placed the IR Blaster in front of the client and everything is now working fine.

I am confused why it is working as the client is setup to use RF whereas the Harmony Hub is communicating via IR. I would have thought the client needs to be setup to communicate via IR the same as the Hub. Can you explain why it is working?

Thank you so much for your help. Logitech support didn't clarify the location issue. They were focus on changing Harmony COMMAND REPEATS that never helped the issue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The Client responds to both IR and RF remote signals. While the RC7x remote can communicate via RF, the Harmony can only use IR.