1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting installation next Friday and have questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by trent741, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I just signed up for 1 HD-Dvr & 3 standard. I want all the coax ran through from the dish into the attic and then down through the walls. I know usually they will charge extra for this so I was thinking since I have spool of rg-6 I could run from where the recievers will be, up the walls and into the attic to where they will be ready to hook up to the mult-switch. I dont know if I should run the coax for the hd-dvr because I think it requires 2 lines and if it does maybe the installer will have a coax with the 2-in-1 wire(coax). I am hoping to get the new HR-20 reciever, what are my chances of that and does running the coax sound like a good idea? thanks!

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

Since you already have the cable and it sounds like you can do it yourself then I would.

If will save you a lot of money.

Just drop two lines to the room the HR20 is going to and one to the rooms the SD receivers are going. Just make sure all 5 lines end up together in the attic.

3. Glenee

Glenee Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Just make sure the cable is seep tested to at least 2500 prefer 3000, since your going to go to all that work.

4. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    The rg-6 I have does not have any writing on the jacket at all. They only reason I know it is rg-6 is that it is thicker harder to bend and has the ground wire attached to it. It has outer jacket,the silver aluminum stuff, then braid, then solid 20 awg solid copper. Is there any way to get it seep tested before I make my runs? I would hate to run it all then find out it won't handle the high freq.

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    It sounds like you MAY have RG-6. But honestly if it isn't silk screened or stamped on the cable...I wouldn't use it. You also want it to be solid copper. Not copper clad steel. Use the good stuff. Lowes and/or Home Depot carry RG-6 that will meet your needs.

The last thing you want to do is run inferior cable.

Also, make sure the multi-switch is a Zinwell WB68 that the installer privides.

6. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I believe in future-proofing: if you're going to run one cable to each of the additional rooms for the non-DVRs, you might as well run a second cable at the same time for the minimal extra effort. Then if you ever want to switch to a dual-tuner unit of whatever type, you're already set up. The spare cable could also be useful if you add a cablemodem, etc.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree, you've got the time. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, buy a 500 or 1000 foot roll of RG6, and pull all the runs. Leave lots of extra slack in the attic - enough to reach just about anyplace, don't make assumptions on where the installer will bring in the coax from the dish.

Also, buy COMPRESSION connectors compatible with the coax, the ones the installer has may or may not be the exact correct size and you don't want to come up short at the moment of the installation.

And I support SteveInNC's comment 100%. Pull the extra line to each location. That way if you want an OTA line in the future, you've got the coax there. If you decide to change one of the regular receivers to a DVR, you've got the coax there.

Last, while you are at it, pull a Cat5e or Cat 6 data line, and a phone line, to each location. It's easy to do it while you are already pulling the coax.

Carl

8. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007

The National Electrical code requires all wiring installed inside walls to have a UL label printed on the plastic cover to certify its fire propagation rating. In a fire some plastics could burn rapidly and the fire can propagate down the cables, so this UL rating assures the plastic covering on the cable is certified as safe for in wall use . If your cable does not have this UL rating printed on the cable , regardless of whether it would work OK for the satellite signals, the installer may (should?) refuse to use it ( and using cable without the UL label could open up insurance issues if you had a fire).

Also, I tried to find copper center RG6 here recently at Lowes, and all the cable they had was copper clad steel center wire. I ended up buying Belden RG6 on the internet. In larger cities you may be able to find the sat grade RG6- 3 Ghz sweep tested, copper center wire with the (UL) printed label on the cable about every two feet. The cable I used has " Belden 7915A 3Ghz series 6 Duobond Plus(R) HDTV coax (UL) CM or CATV or C (UL) CM" printed on it every two feet along with other numbers. I ran it through the attic and coiled it by the previously installed 5 lnb dish. The D* installer used his own double cable from the dish to the grounding block he installed and then and used my two RG6 the rest of the way. He was happy with my cable and it works great. Also I ran a third RG6 for the OTA antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.