1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting message "Receiver has less than 5 hours available disk space".

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GordonT, Nov 23, 2018.

1. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    I had never seen this message until about a month ago. Once I click OK, I went to the List page, which says there is 0% free space. Although I hadn't been recording a lot of shows, I figured that I had crossed some threshold. So I began deleting several one hour recordings (at least 5-6), but the "Less than 5 hours" message persisted. I then found an old foot ball game that I had padded with extra time and that recording was almost 5 hours all be itself. I deleted that game and I still have the message "Receiver has less than 5 hours available disk space". How can this be?
    Was this message added by a recent software upgrade? Has anybody else seen it? Based on my cleanup of 10+ hours of recordings, shouldn't the message go away?

This is on my HR44-700

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try resetting the receiver to see if that changes.
    I will never see that message. My receiver has 73% free space.

Rich likes this.
  3. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    I have tried reseting (menu and red button). Neither resolved this message.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you can, I would start deleting stuff that isn't really important until you have deleted at least 10 more hours.

After that if the message still comes up, you might try running a search for CLEARMYBOX and let it clean out old graphics, messages, the guide, etc. It does not delete recordings or Series that are set up.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BiST (Built in Self Test) on your HR44-700. Reset the HR44-700. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts. Any issues with your HR44-700 will be identified.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    Is the Bist different from the Advanced diagnostics that run when you hit select when "receiver self check" message is issued during a restart?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    should be same

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't see a hard drive causing this, can you?

Rich

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like a message from the software. But something should trigger it to go away.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Looks like he pulled the proper triggers. Weird. If some folks don't come along and say they're seeing the same thing I'd get the box replaced. But that's always my first reaction.

Rich

12. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    No matter when I press select during the reboot, I can only get to the "Entering Diagnostic mode" (or similar words) and the only diagnostics there are a sort and long SMART test.
    Not seeing anything titled BIST or Built in Self Test. There are at least 2 separate appearances of the text "few more seconds" and I have pressed select during both of them. Are there other iterations that occur later on?

P.S. I only ran the short SMART test because the long one can run for hours, plus I didn't get the impression that it was the type of test you were referring to. Can you give some examples of the types of tests under Bist?

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If done correctly you should see menus giving you the choice of Guided Tests and Advanced Tests.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's good for fix failed sectors on the HDD's plates, I would run it for night

15. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    Here's where things stand:
    • No matter when I hit select during a reboot on the HR44, I get the same message "Entering Diagnostic Mode" and I get a screen where there are 2 choices Utilities and Reboot.
    • This is different from the screen I see on my HR24's. Those have separate choices for Guided Test and Advanced Tests.
    • I subsequently ran the Long SMART test on the HR44; it passed. It took an hour or 2 at the most. I was expecting it to take longer.
    • I have continued deleting recordings after watching them. In addition to getting to watch them instead of just deleting them, I was able to verify that the portions of the hard rive occupied by those programs were still good as opposed to getting errors when attempting to view them. Nevertheless, after deleting at least 15-20 hours of programs, I still get the "Less than 5 hours available recording space left" and the unused percentage is 0%.
    • The only other things I can think of is that this began around the time that software update 0x1112 was installed on 11/16. I cannot verify that the problem didn't begin before that update because I didn't write down the date when it started. But it's at least close. Do any of you know what 0x1112 changed and do you have it on your HR44?
    • One final point: Even before I saw the message about there being less than 5 hours free space, I had begun using a trick that I have used on my HR24's when they were low enough on free space that I couldn't do a regular recording: I would wait until the program was over but it was still in the 90 minute buffer and press the "record" button on the remote. I discovered this by accident some time ago. I'm guessing that this "tricks" the DVR into some kind of non-standard disk allocation that enables it to allocate the necessary space that a "normal" recording doesn't use. Could this technique somehow have triggered this issue, and if so, is there a workaround (other than continuing to delete programs until the what I will call emergency sectors are freed up?).
    I'm really hoping that this can be fixed somehow without getting the Genie replaced. The only good news is that for now, I can still watch the recorded programs while making new recordings on my HR24's. If I really need to make used of the Season:Episode capabilities of the Genie, I can use the recording trick above.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I've read everything on this thread correctly the first thing I'd do is take a lot of content off that hard drive. Get it down to about half full. Then run CLEARMYBOX and after that is done do a menu restart. See if that helps. If you ran those tests correctly you have no other problems other than an overly full HDD...I think.

Rich