1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting movies with no phone line and no internet connection. ???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by weluvnik, May 24, 2010.

1. weluvnik

weluvnik New Member

May 24, 2010
    Hi everyone, I am new to direct tv and am SO confused about ppv vs direct tv cinema vs direct tv on demand! And to make it even more confusing -- I was told we had to have either a phone line or an internet connection hooked to our receiver in order to use these services. But we have watched 3 new release movies so far and we don't have either connection! How is that possible? :)confused:btw, the reason we don't have the phone/internet hooked up to the receiver is because we are in a newly constructed house and when the installer came, those services hadn't been hooked up yet.)

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The box will let you "buy" upto a certain amount before it cuts you off. Your probably pretty close right now to that cutoff point.

What you will need to do is to get a phone line or internet connection to that box at some point. Then you will need to call up and have the CSR force a callback. Then you can expect to see all the accumulated PPVs show up on your bill.

3. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    You can order them on D*'s website also if you have an account.

4. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    When you get a phone line or internet connection you don't have to call directv and have them force a callback. The box(es) will get the info. sent to directv just fine.

5. weluvnik

weluvnik New Member

May 24, 2010
    I hadn't even looked at my bill, but you're right -- I just checked and we haven't been billed yet for those movies. I just couldn't figure out how my kids were able to order movies when the tech said we had to have a phone line. Thanks for your help!

6. Fabuloso

Fabuloso AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    yea if your kids are ordering things you might want to setup the parental controls to prevent them from doing that.

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    everything mentioned so far is correct. two options exist for customers who do not have a phone connection or internet connection. One is the Website (Directv.com) and the other is the automated phone system (800-531-500) A third option is to call a CSR and order that way, but remember there is a 5.00 phone charge to order through a CSR.

8. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I always use directv.com to order ppv...because when you do it unlocks the show on all your receivers. Whereas when you order with a remote, it's just on that particular box only. I like to do that especially during sporting events. That way people in the kitchen can watch, people in the family room can watch...etc..

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree that ordering a PPV via DIRECTV.COM is the best route because it is free and also lets you watch the show on all your receivers. Plus, many of the PPV movies are available via "all day ticket" which means you can watch them over and over all day on all your receivers.

If you do call DirecTV to order a PPV movie, it also appears on all your receivers but if you use the IVR (automated) phone system it will cost you an additional $1.50. If you actually speak to a live person to place the order it will cost you an additional $5.00.

Phone lines or internet connections are no longer a requirement from DirecTV because so many people don't have them but went with cellular for their phone connection and have "aircards" from their wireless provider for internet access.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Phone lines may no longer be enforced, but technically still in the customer agreement. At least they say they can investigate your account if it doesn't call in regularly. Now, in reality, they really don't seem to care.