Getting ready for negotiations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by amtrucker22, Dec 8, 2014.

1. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I am due for an equipment upgrade. Currently have 1 HR34-700 and to H25-500's (whole house dvr). From what I am reading I would want an HR-44 (although I am not guaranteed I would get it) and I would want to keep my HR34. Does that sound right?

Next question is do people get discounts when it is time to renew? Like when I initially signed up I was receiving credits for up to 2 years I think.

The current house is just over a year old and I personally wired. I have Dual RG6's and dual cat6 cables ran to each receiver. I have 4 coax ran from the comm closet to the outside demarc.

One of the reasons I am eligible for upgrade is because I have the protection program. I would like to get rid of this after the upgrade (they slipped it in on me when I started service with them)

I guess my true overall goal is to lower my bill with credits similar to when I first signed up for DTV.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated!

2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    You may only have one Genie per account.

Yes, the HR44 is preferred over the HR34, but DirecTV does not consider that an upgrade.

There is absolutely no need to "renew" and it will not gain you anything to do so. You can drop the protection program at any time and it will save you some money; if a receiver or DVR goes out DirecTV will ship you a replacement for $19.95 (but you might be able to get that waived); by staying out of contract, you will be eligible for a free move if you need it.

If you really want an HR44, you can get one from Solid Signal and may be able to get DirecTV to give you at least some credit for it - it's at least worth a try, but you would have to send back the HR34 at any rate.

3. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    If you call in ask to talk to retention. If you have the protection plan you may go straight to tech and they have less options on discounts.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In terms of upgrade, the only options you have through DirecTV are to switch an H25 over to either a DVR (HR2X level) or a client.

Personally, I'd stay with what you have.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    On re-reading the origianl post, I'm not sure he has an HR34. He says he's eligible for an upgrade.
    What's being upgraded? Maybe the H25 is eligible. But as stated by iceman, if he has an HR34 he can't get an HR44.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the account. Accounts with PP are eligible for an upgrade after 2 years with the plan. If this was me, I would upgrade the H25s to DVRs as well