getting RV waivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjlc, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jun 1, 2020 #1 of 11
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    since i have had my distant networks.. I have taken my dish every where with me.. now suddenly , with nothing in writing to me.. i have lost them.. How do I get my rv waivers.. since i didn't need them before..

2. Jun 1, 2020 #2 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You need to have your account set up as an RV account. If you didn't have "RV waivers" before were you receiving distants at home or are you a full time RVer?

3. Jun 1, 2020 #3 of 11
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Good luck is all I can say. ATT has made stuff like this impossible.

4. Jun 1, 2020 #4 of 11
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm sure they will be taking steps to make sure people REALLY have an RV and receivers on that account are ONLY in an RV to prevent people from trying to get scheme the system after the DNS changes.

Probably will have to go through an RV dealer who has a relationship with Directv or something like that. They won't be taking people's word over the phone, I'm sure.

5. Jun 1, 2020 #5 of 11
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If it was legal DNS instead of a side agreement the government wants proof of registration of an appropriate vehicle (sorry, your mini-van isn't an RV) filed every two years. I expect the side agreement will be something similar. One may also find themselves limited on number and types of receivers once flagged as RV.

6. Jun 1, 2020 #6 of 11
    cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Here are the forms. Good luck getting them processed though. Most of the RV forums are filled with complaints that since AT&T took over they've essentially let these sit wiht no action. Obviously you would actually have to have an RV, Fifth Wheel, or similar qualifying vehicle.

https://www.att.com/ecarecms/dam/att/2016/support/docs/DNS-Vehicles-Aff.pdf

Also I had to search for those based on my memory. All the DNS pages on the AT&T website now give 404 errors.

7. Jun 1, 2020 #7 of 11
    GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    You need a state RV registration.

8. Jun 1, 2020 #8 of 11
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A lot of people own RVs, don't watch TV in them, and have Directv at home. I'll bet they want more than that.

9. Jun 1, 2020 #9 of 11
    GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    What else can they get, they want to make money too, not trying to be a wiseguy but what else can they demand?

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The law would only require the appropriate RV registration. I don't see DIRECTV requiring any more proof that the system is in an RV. But I would not be surprised if other limits were placed on the account such as the number and type of receiver. It would be hard to defend needing a large multi-receiver system in an RV (although there are large RVs with multiple TVs).

11. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I will preface this with the notion that things may have changed for the better in the last 12 months at DirecTV regarding getting DNS for an RV approved, but a year ago it was literally impossible. I suppose if they took a large of enough hit when they disallowed temporary service address changes, they may have made accommodations but I cannot say.

The following information came from a gentleman at the Office of the President of AT&T.

First, without DNS, the days of just taking a home receiver with you and using some sort of portable dish were over IF you wanted or needed programming from the 4 major networks and couldn't use an RV antenna to get them. For years, we simply made a call and requested a temporary service address change twice a year but AT&T put an end to that. So if I wanted the 4 major networks in my RV and OTA reception wasn't possible, my only other option was to setup a second RV account with DNS or just go without locals.

Next, they also would NOT send out a tech to service any RV's if there were issues. All installations and service to an RV DirecTV account had to be done thru an RV dealership or authorized service center. AT&T had basically turned DirecTV into a wireless cable company who didn't service such installations and had dissolved the dedicated group they used to have that handled RV/mobile/DNS issues. It was all contracted out to 3rd party companies like Solid Signal, Winegard, RV dealerships, etc. This wasn't all that much of an issue for me since I had been installing my own setups for over 20 years.

So I called both Winegard and Solid Signal and got the same basic information. First, I had to meet all requirements listed on the application BEFORE the application for DNS would even be submitted for approval. That meant all the required paperwork such as a copy of my RV registration, proof of a PERMANENTLY mounted dish verified by the above mentioned companies or an authorized RV dealer that installed the dishes AND a second ACTIVE DirecTV account with the receivers turned on so DNS service could be authorized on those receivers upon approval. At this point, we were basically done. There was absolutely no way we were going to the time and expense of installing and agreeing to a new account along with a 2 year commitment and since we weren't "full time", there was no way to keep everything powered up and active until they got around to, if ever, approving our DNS request and authorizing the receivers.

Winegard tried to be diplomatic about the whole thing but said they had issues getting any DNS requests approved, some months old with no way to follow up on their status. As for Solid Signal, the guy that answered literally laughed out loud when I asked about RV DNS.

That ended our 22 year association with DirecTV. Good Luck.