Getting the DVR to Play More Than 4 Hours

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkseger, Apr 22, 2014.

1. jkseger

jkseger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Hi there - I searched and search but didn't find anytrhing specific to this topic.

Is there a code or something that I can enter to make the DVR play more than 4 or so hours without stopping? It seems like when I have a group of shows playing, at about the 4 hour mark, they just stop and continue playing regular TV. The bad part is on my HR21, is that it doesn't remember what show it was on and starts over from the beginning.

My Genie seems to be doing it too. I do indeed have the power save mode off so the box keeps playing, it's just when I have a group of shows playing (like a series of NASCAR or F1 races) in a row, the DVR stops playing.

Thoguhts?

Bonus question??? Is there any way to start a gourp of recordings from any other spot than the first recording? Mayeb like pressing and holding the play button on the second show would start the series from the second show, for instance.

Thanks in advance!!

John

2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    You might want to try reading some of this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/209806-play-all-feautre/

As far as the bonus question, the only way I know to reset the position of folder play is to go through all of the "watched" programs manually one at a time and skip to the end of each recording to the point where the "delete" message pops up, making sure each "watched" program has been reset.

Once all of the "watched" programs have been reset, go back and play the folder from the beginning and skip to the end of each recording until you get to the one you want to keep its postion of, then "exit" out of the folder play at that point (or pust the "stop" button). I'm not sure there's any faster way to accomplish this other than to delete the "episodes" you're never going to watch again or don't want to keep instead of re-slogging through them.

3. jkseger

jkseger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Thanks for the reply... so in reading the above forum post, it looks like others have the same issue and there's been no resolution. Did I read that right?

John

4. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    None that I'm aware of.

As far as the posters that never had the issue, curious if and how often they restart their DVRs. (Or maybe they're newer models w/o the problem.) As stated, I always guide flush (two restarts within 30mins) and stay disconnected from the network before using the play-all feature, playing a long recording or expecting a delayed live buffer to stay where it's been left.

Seems to keep it from happening for at least a couple of weeks...

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you ever press any button on the remote during that four hours? Pause button or info button or skip, anything. Heck even volume?

6. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I have seen this issue for a long time now. It has improved and/or worsened with each software update, but it has quit working like it did originally. I used to use the play group feature a lot, and having it not work properly has been very inconvenient for me. I have tried resetting the machine, everything I can think of. The only thing that seems to have any effect is if I push a button on the remote every hour or so. This defeats the use of starting playback while recording the "series" on my dvd recorder, then going to bed. :(

For me at least, it isn't usually four hours. I have had it happen in less than an hour, and it almost always quits between two and three hours.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ah see I think it's because people are never touching the remote.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Maybe there is a bug, but honestly I would never not use the remote at least once in a while...even if I watch 4-5 episodes of a show in a row, I skip literally every commercial break and hit skip to end at the ending credits of the previous episode. I can power watch 5 hours of tv in like 3 1/2 hours. Besides time shifting, its the single other biggest reason to own a dvr. Archiving, or baby-sitting the old or young, seems like the only reasons this si probably even an issue.

9. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    As I said, this function used to work properly. More than one time I had over 24 hours of programs that I played straight through without touching the remote. Then, after an update, the feature "broke" and it has not been fixed. Since I save up episodes of a series and like to copy them to my DVD recorder in a "batch", this feature, when it worked, was very useful. Since it has quit working like it did at the beginning (properly) my ability to do large blocks of recording has had to quit also. Some months ago, the movie, "Battle of the Bulge" was on, and I had a very difficult time recording it because the DVR would revert to live TV before the movie could complete. This happened four times before I got a complete copy. I shouldn't have to touch the remote, and likely wouldn't in the course of a single movie.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Why would you want to archive the commercials? And if you're using a DVD recorder, you must not be an HD subscriber? If you are an HD subscriber, what a waste to archive the beautiful HD to Standard Def DVD quality.....

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, there is SD and then there is SD. SD as copied from an HD recording is pretty darned good, and in 16:9. very watchable. SD as we recall it from the days of analog broadcasting and VHS is pure dog crap, and no one wants to go back there. They are honestly two different things.

But even SD as delivered today is much better than it was even just a few years ago, because the delivery and production chains are digital, and some of the path may even be HD. Many SD feeds on sat and cable are derived from HD feeds. SD channels look pretty good compared to what they looked like a few years ago.

And we are not limited to an SD solution. I use EyeTV which has a great editor built in, and many use the HDPVR.

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Well, I had something like 70 1/2 hour episodes of the show in a folder. It was an old b&w show, so SD/HD was not really an issue. I copied them over to the hard drive in my DVD recorder in a large block and after they were in the DVD recorder, I removed the commercials before making the DVDs--so I did NOT archive the commercials with the program. In general, I *WATCH* the shows in HD, but archive them to DVD in as good an SD as I can get. I have made DVDs from my DirecTV HD feed that were obviously superior to purchased DVDs of the same program.

This is off topic to the complaint that the "play folder" function usually times out after two to four hours on its own. It didn't do that several years ago, but has been doing it for the past few years. I have found no way to stop it from reverting back to live television.

13. jkseger

jkseger Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Anyone have any updates to this annoying issue?!?!?!?! I was so mad last night that it made me think to resurrect this poor thread. I actually think that it stops after 3 hours now.

For the record I have hours of commecial free shows that I have downloaded from on-demand. They're great. But if I'm watching them back to back, I don't need the remote. Everything is already set when I start so, I don't need to "push buttons" to make it continue.

The absolute worst part of it is that it doesn't remember where it stopped so if you hit play on the group again... IT STARTS FROM THE BEGINNING... meaning you have to manually fast forward through all the shows that have already played.

GAH!!!

Rant over... any help on this would be appreciated!!

John