Getting Two Dish 500's to work with Hopper 3 Receivers

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Scott Shipley, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Need some install/conversion help.
    I live in the woods and need two separate dishes to pick up Sats 110, 119, and 129. Right now I have one dish pointed through the trees at 110 and 119 and a separate Dish 500 pointed at 129. I have 4 coax's coming from these two dishes going into a DPP44 Switch. My two VIP 622 receivers (used to be 3 receivers) are feed from the DPP44 switch.
    I want to upgrade my two VIP receivers to Hopper3. I think I just need to add a DUONODE between the new Hopper 3 receivers and the DPP44 switch and I am good to go.
    Can anybody here help confirm that setup?
    (Again, due to living in a somewhat dense forest, I cannot get a Dish1000 to have a clear shot at 110, 119, and 129; thus trying to make the two Dish 500's I have now work with the newer Hopper Receiver.)

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    You'll need a DPH42 to convert the 500 dishes to hybrids, but I'm not sure of the hookup sequence. A 1000.2 with a western arc DPH LNB would work with it aimed for 110 and 119, and a 500 plugged into the input port as a wing dish as well I believe. The DPP44 and/or DPH42 wouldn't be needed in that case.

3. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Assuming I do nothing to replace the LNB's in my Dish500 equipment on the roof and I go forward with moving to the DPH42 (this comes with a power inserter), I believe I would need two Hybrid Solo HUBs to drive two Hopper 3 receivers. Correct? (I might add Joey's later but not planning that now.)
    I have confirmed that when I do the check switch diagnostic with my current VIP setup, the system only sees 3 satellites: 110, 119, and 129. However there are 4 separate coax connections going to the input side of my current DPP44 switch. Seems one of those four coax's must not actually be used?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    That is correct. Only use the coax INPUTS that you actually need.

To be honest, instead of two Dish 500's, all you need is one Dish500 and one 18 inch dish with a Dishpro Single LNB.

jscudder likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't recommend using small reflector with the TS' setup conditions !

6. jscudder

jscudder Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    That is the same setup I used for my neighbor’s home up here in NH’s woods. He has an 18” dish pointed at 61.5 and a Dish 500 at 72. The feed from the 18” goes to a Dish Pro Plus lnb on the Dish 500. From the Dish 500, a single feed line goes to the house.

7. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    The research and confirmation on the switch equipment and dish setup was very helpful - thanks to all who responded. Turns out Dish will NOT let me have more than one Hopper 3 on my account. They will let me have two Hopper 2's (Hopper with Sling) on one account if I buy one of the Hopper 2's up front. Its interesting but Dish Tech Support really won't discuss or comment on being able to swap out my DPP44 switch for a DPH42 switch - they say they leave that up to the install technician.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Scott - What DMA are you in ? and are you talking about Eastern Arc or western ?

9. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    I think my DMA is #126
    I am in Califronia - north of Monterey but in the woods, inland from Santa Cruz. I think that would be the Western Arc. My dishes are picking up sats 110, 119, 129.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    With Hopper 2's, you won't need a DPH42...

11. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    If the LNB's in my roof Dishes are not the LNBF, I thought I would need the DPH42. The physical dish currently pointing at Sat's 110, 119 has been there for 20 years - I have never replaced the LNB's in that dish.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    They're not even DishPro ? If that is the case, you will be needing new LNBs (at the least).

NYDutch likes this.
  13. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Since Dish told me I could not have two Hopper 3's on one account, I elected to have the tech install two Hopper 2's. All the tech decided to do in my system was to add a Duonode off the existing DPP44 switch. That worked just fine with the existing equipment on the roof. After talking with the tech some more, there was really no way I needed two Hopper 3's and the added installation complexity to get it to all work (nevermind Dish account support not knowing how to do it) would not have been worth the effort. So far, I like the Hopper 2 a lot - its a nice upgrade from my VIP-622... not sure why I waited so long to move up.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The good news is that the Hoppers will work together. Content recorded on one can be seen on the other. My wife and I like having the six tuners.

NYDutch likes this.
  15. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    ...going off topic somewhat from my original post... but for James - how do I get the Hopper Name to be different between the two devices when I look at my DVR recordings? Right now, for some reason both devices have the exact same name.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Settings - Diagnostics - then "Whole Home" (option 4). Change name will appear (option 5) and you can choose a name or enter any text you want.

17. Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Right after the installation of both Hoppers I made sure they both had unique locations names. But when I went to back to look at the name of the receivers, they both had the same name. I waited 24 hrs and then did a complete power cycle (remove AC power), after that I was able to rename the location on the receiver that had the wrong name and it stuck. So I am good now.
    Also, In the Dish Anywhere App, it can see the two separate receivers but only one is showing me the correct location name, the other is listed by its receiver serial number.