1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost Hunters, Most Haunted and other Ghostly shows

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Ron Barry, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 37
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I thought about placing this in the TV shows forum but then given what I felt the topic should be I don't think it was a good fit so I placed it here. The reason for this thread comes from a few comments I read in another thread dealing with HD content.

I am a regular viewer of Ghost Hunters and I watch Most Haunted from time to time. I have most likelty watched about 50 shows combined. I am also someone that is interested in the paranormal.

For the people that have at least watched a few shows. What is your thoughts between these shows and other shows like them. Is there others I should be looking into.

For me.. I think Ghost Hunters takes the best approach. They go in skeptical and use equipement to try and figure out what people are experiencing. Their have been some rather interesting stuff caught both on audio and on film. The one the gets me the most was the shot of the guy caught in thermal in the cabinet looking back. The other piece that caught my attention was the shap running behind the pool table and then darting back.

Most Haunted on the other hand I thinks experiences way too much.. I am starting to feel that this show is fake. To much in terms of personal experiences and whenever they do a live show the gate to the other world seems to open up and experiences flood in. What I would think would be cool would be if they did a show with both groups at the same time.. ;) Have the Ghost Hunters debunk Most Haunted or try to.

I personally spent a evening with Peter James. He is known for being on Sightings and was the first to declare the Queen Mary as haunted. I have to say though the experiences I felt that night would not make me 100% convinced The nigth was extremely enjoyable evening...

Ok.. So for the people that watch the show or you have watched others. What are you thoughts...

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 37
    texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    I think if they were faking things they would do it a lot more than 1-2 times an episode...or sometimes they dont find anything.

either way i find it enjoyable to watch with the lights out and surround sound going...unfortunately one episode creeped my wife out so much that she wont watch it anymore...lol...so i have to wait til she's not around to watch it.

I know some people may call it crap reality tv....but as far as im concerned it's no different than watching a scary movie...except it's a series.

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 37
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    I personally don't think Ghost Hunters is faked. It is Most Hunted that I think is faked... If you look at my Signature, the quote from Peter James was in regards to a comment about what do you say when something disregards your experiences.

Basically his take was that he was just telling his experiences not trying to convince anyone. It is up to each person to draw their own conclusions.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 37
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    i really like that quote ron....

my intentions here are not to start ANY sort of discussion... but I think that quote could be very well suited in religion as well...

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 37
    texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    yeah it's not like Grant and Jason are making a million off of it...all of them still have other jobs to goto.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 37
    chieffan

chieffan New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I enjoy watching Ghost Hunters and think they have the most "credability" They seem to debunk more than they confirm. It is the only show we watch like this.(watched Most Haunted 1 time , seemed too fake) However there is a new series coming on Monday at 10 pm est on A&E called Paranormal State, about a bunch of Penn State students that formed a paranormal society. It should be interesting to watch. Hopefully it is good.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 37
    texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks! Just set it to record....however the guide says episode 8...although i have seen the guide mess up episode labels before...hope its a god one.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 37
    chieffan

chieffan New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    It might be episode 8, I just found out about it while watching another show on A&E and they showed about a 3 minute clip from it and they said it was a new series :eek: . I set the DVR to record it also. From the clip it looked like it would be intersting to watch. If it is good I might have to try and find Episodes 1-7

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 37
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I personally believe they are finding something, but I don't believe that all unknown events are caused by dead people. For example, how recently would electricity have been regarded as supernatural?

I think they are too skeptical to make for an entertaining show. And it is not really very scientific to assume, for instance, that since plumbing can make a thumping sound, that it is always the pipes that make the thumping sound.

They don't spend enough time to really prove or disprove anything. After all, there are clogged drains calling!

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, supernatural beings, aliens or any of that stuff, but I find it interesting. I could never get into Ghost Hunters or the like. I find the documentary type programs on Discovery and History Channel more eerie.

11. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    really? think we are alone? Which is fine...just wondering...

I think people get into Ghost Hunters because of the "whats around the corner" factor...with the music and all...

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Everything has a logical explanation, ghosts and aliens are not logical.

13. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    oh yeah? Explain Rosie O'Donnell!! :lol: j/k

I guess i look at it as "life" on other planets...any kind...not just little green men

14. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    So therefore they must be made up or cannot exist. ;)

Well from my point of view there are numerious things around the world that are unexplained. Even the most sceptical people can't logically expain away 5% of the UFO sightings. Same goes with paranormal experiences.

We don't know what we don't know and what might not have a logically explanation today in 30 years will even though it might be one we are not willing or don't want to except.

15. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yep, if I can't see them, they don't exist. There is no way anyone will ever convince me ghosts and aliens are real in any form. Tricks of the human mind can explain a lot of this stuff or a few wackjobs looking for attention making up their own abduction stories. Like I said I find this stuff cool, but it's on the Science FICTION channel for a reason.

16. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    i can't see air...but i know it exist:D

j/k....i know what you are saying...the human mind can do some pretty crazy things....but the interesting thing is the things that can't be explained as of now.

17. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    The only Ghosthunter show that I was suspicious of was the one done in California . It was in a house about two hundred yards from were Charles Manson followers killed Sharen Tate and others. They had this guy with them who would ask his emf detector questions and it would flash in answer to the questions. This took my respect for the show down quite a bit.

18. jrb531

jrb531 Icon

May 28, 2004
    Ron I just fail to see how the Ghost of the Week show can come up with so many "real" hauntings week after week.

Are some real? Perhaps but how can we tell the real from the "filler"

If they tried to screen the more real possibilities from those that were just some nut-jobs they would run out of material.

This is why I consider Ghost hunters to be crap. Not because "some" of the shows might have some merit but because there is no way to know what is filler and what is not.

I'll invent a haunted computer and give them a call. I wonder if they will do a special on my made up haunted computer :)

-JB

19. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    When was this show on. I have never seen something like that and I have watched a number of them... Do you remember what guy it was. Just does not seem consistent with the show.

On the other hand... I would not be suprised if I saw that on Most Haunted and that is why I think a good show would be a live show with both teams in the same area.

20. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Not trying to convience you for sure. I live by the words of James Peter (see sig). Minds definitely play tricks. Cameras can too. Definitely some unexplained stuff has been caught on film and audio. Ofcourse it can be quickly dismissed as Camera tricks for the show etc... but I do find it interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.