1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give DTV a First Quarter Report Card

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ISWIZ, Feb 28, 2006.

How do you grade the R15 for the first quarter

1. A - Above average, the best, I wish I had invented it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B - Better than most, a little hiccup here and there.

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. C - Could be improved, has some minor difficulties.

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. D - Did not impress me, too many problems.

30 vote(s)
    44.1%
  5. E - Even if they gave it away, I’m not sure I’d take it.

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  6. F - Foolishly released way before it was ready, a complete disaster.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    As promised, a day early, I have set up a "poll" for a report card for Direct TV to see how it's doing on it's R15 DVR. I did not include (-) and (+) and it isn't graded on a curve. Hopefully in 3 more months we can give them a "mid-term" grade to let them know if they've "improved". If I can get the poll to work they should be as follows:

A - Above average, the best, I wish I had invented it.
    B - Better than most, a little hiccup here and there.
    C - Could be improved, has some minor difficulties.
    D - Did not impress me, too many problems.
    E - Even if they gave it away, I’m not sure I’d take it.
    F - Foolishly released way before it was ready, a complete disaster.

Polls close in 7 days.

2. zortapa

zortapa Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    My only real problem with the R15 has been the recent incapacitation of my autorecords by D* changing their stream content in an attempt to put a bandage on another problem. Other than that, D* seems to have addressed my concern about partial recordings, and the occasional freeze has not really bothered me....yet. The SL's are adequate for me, since the first run/repeat issue does not impact my recording preferences.

Overall, it is acceptable to me (C/B), but I have never had a DTivo either!.

3. ejohnson

ejohnson AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    I have been fortunate to not have all the problems that some of you have. There are things that could be improved (to my taste), but it has done what it is supposed to do.

4. Mar 1, 2006 #4 of 56
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I agree with Zortapa, partial recordings is a really big issue and on top of that the history doesn't give you an info on why. The freezes weren't a big issue for me untill the released 109f and 10a3 and now that I've got to reboot them almost everyday it is really bothering me. Still seems to me like the issues with the 50/100 limit is what is holding this thing back and I don't think we (users with 20 SL or more) will see an improvement untill the get this issue corrected. It just seems that once the guide data is refilled after a reset, that is when the freezing occurs which means your todo list is now mostly full and probably some cause of the lockups.

5. Mar 1, 2006 #5 of 56
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Dual buffers. Something better than the jumpback key to compensate for very little overshoot correction for FF. Of course, a much more stable S/L.

The auto save for a buffer that gotten quite lenghty is neat, just wish there was a "no don't save it -- but let my still watch the 90 minute buffer" option. The all or nothing with the buffer needs some work. The buffer should not disappear just because you go into a couple of menus (and again, there should be two).

6. Mar 1, 2006 #6 of 56
    Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I gave it a "C", should be a "C -" because I am very impressed with all the features is has that the DirecTiVo's dont BUT it is buggy.

7. Mar 1, 2006 #7 of 56
    ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    Look's like that's about where it's falling so far.

8. Mar 1, 2006 #8 of 56
    walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I think nobody is voting "E" because it's pretty much what DirecTV did, and those of us who didn't take them up on the free DVR don't feel right actually voting about it's performance. :)

9. Mar 1, 2006 #9 of 56
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    50% "D" or "F" that is indeed a statement. Only 13% "A" or "B."

El Segundo, we have a problem...

10. mccskey

mccskey Cool Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Can someone clarify what the R15 has that the Directv Tivo units don't?

A couple of features that Tivo has:
    ability to record programs (fairly reliable)
    dual live buffers (ability to switch between tuners)
    30 second skip
    saved searches
    actually only record the first run of new episodes

R15
    Can check my local weather (don't we all get the weather channel?)
    Check local lottery numbers

I'm not impressed with the R15at all at this stage of the game....

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    It does have the longer buffer (mooted by lack of dual ones).
    Interactive channels & Caller ID
    Picture in picture guide (like the old non DVR receivers)
    HD space monitor

The one thing that really does matter: This is DTV's platform for the future and will be enhanced in time. My R15 is inactive since it surely is not ready for service, yet. I'll keep my DirecTiVos for quite some time, but the R15 is the future with DTV -- like it or not.

12. gvaughn

gvaughn Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    I voted D, but it's really more like a C-.

I really like some of the ideas and organization of the R15 (small PIP screen when searching the guide, etc...).

But the R15 has MAJOR scheduling problems. Since ultimately it's "reason for being" is as a recorder first and foremost, I think these problems are truly significant and "upsetting". The buffer options are the second "reason for being" and they have problems too...

13. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

Lets see,

Picture and sound in all the menus and screens so you dont have to sit there in silence like DirecTiVos.

Ability to watch a recorded show and still do other things like browse the guide or do some housecleaning. Tivo you cant do anything when watching a recording.

One line guide to use so it doesnt block the TV picture.

Free space % indicator.

Much longer buffers.

A guide that actually works and is not clunky and redraws line by line or in blocks, In the guide you can tell at a glance what shows are scheduled to record unlike DirecTivos, also simply press record in the guide and the show will record or a SL will be made.

Interactive channels (News Mix, Sports Mix, etc...) and features for sports like NFL, NBA, Olympics, etc...

Caller ID on screen,

Conflict select screens where it allows you to choose from ALL conflicts not just 1 like DirecTiVos (a GREAT advantage of the R-15 if you ask me),

Active features with Best Bests PPV shows, lottery, weather, horoscope, daily TV highlights and more.

I can go on and on...................

14. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Please do. Did you say buffers?

15. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

I didnt say they worked :lol: but from what I remember, and maybe I am mistaken, all the tech specs say dual buffers.

I know your not a big fan of the R-15 and your big on the buffer thing but the R-15 will be a nice unit after the next upgrade or two.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I voted C, but like others I feel C is a little too good with D being a little too bad. The R15 falls between. I feel like it "Could be improved, has some significant issues."

The R15 does impress me, and I do prefer the user interface, guide, and other features over the TiVo (R10). However the problems are certainly more than "minor".

Carl

17. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the R15 in its current form. But, I fully accept that this is the platform for the future -- that's why I got one :) .

Just trying to keep the discussion realistic, that is all :D. I stay away from the well documented S/L problems since it is discussed ad nauseum here. As far as the comments on the slow guides, the TiVo style guide is blazing fast -- the grid guide is rarely used by most (as I'm sure you already know).

Nonetheless, I too hope the units scores will increase significantly after an upgrade or two. ;)

18. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

I have been around for many years in the tivocommunity and telling people when they complain about how unusable clunky and slow the guide is to switch to the TiVo guide "is the norm". Its not because the guide is better, its because the other guide is next to unusable.

19. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    No, it's not used because it's designed to find out what's on "now". Who cares about that with a DVR. The TiVo-style guide is designed to find stuff to record.

I can page through the next 12 days or so of guide data for a given channel in about 30 seconds. Try that with a grid.

20. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

Probably 99% of the people using one and I for one. I use the normal guide every night to look at whats on Primetime at 8 and 9 pm. Its so much faster to check whats on ALL channels at that time, using that. Try that with the TiVo style guide. I think you think everyone uses their DVR's like power users, most just use it like a fancy VCR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.