1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give Old TIVO to neighbor

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Bofurley, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    I had the HR 20 installed today, and am planning on giving my old Hughes. But when called to deactivate the receiver, the CSR said I could not do that!! This is the old tivo's which I have owned for several years -is there any reason I cannot give this away?
    Also, the neighbor will just take his card from his receiver and transfer it to this tivo.Any help? Suggrestions?
    Thanks bofurley.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    There should be no reason you cannot do that. But he will probably have to buy a new access card from DirecTV for $20. I don't think he can use one from another receiver.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    What Bmore said. If that is an "owned" receiver and not a leased receiver, you can do what you wish with it. If your neighbor has an access card from his existing account, and his existing account is in good standing, he should be able to talk them into reauthorizing on the TIVO box you're going to give him.

Caveat....some older cards are not compatiable accross all receivers. In which case....see Bmore's post above.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    This is what I ran into selling mine on Ebay. D* said to trash the card. It cannot be transferred and it is no good for other equipment. They said the new owner will have to request a new card for it, and it will be linked to the equipments serial #.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree completely. I've given a TiVo to a friend and it was no problem for either of us. They even waived the $20 since he was a new DVR user.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Just keep in mind that a HR10-250 is still fetching $200+ on ebay. Make sure this is a real good neighbor. :)

7. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    I am sorry, i wasn't very clear on the old Tivo, the one I am giving my neighbor is ther HNS model GXCEBOTD, so all can see, it is a really old tivo, but works perfectly.
    thanks to all for your feed back.
    bofurley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.