1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lovswr, Aug 24, 2018.

1. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    Was as D* subscriber from 2001 to 2016 when it, frankly, just got too expensive. Well the wife wants D* back to get Sunday ticket but I want 4k. I have a total of 5 UDH sets, but only need 4k on at 3 locations. From what I have read, two C61 clients is what I want & my 3rd 4k set is an RVUE device. Will that set serve as a 4k client or does it need the actual box? As far as total equipment, I think I will need the HS17, the aforementioned C61's & an HR54. Does this sound right?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The HS17 is the only Genie that can support 3 4K TVs, with either C61K Mini Genies or compatible RVU TVs. The HR54 can only support one 4K TV. It's one or the other .... you can't have both an HS17 and an HR54. And realize that the HS17 only supports Mini Clients and RVU TVs .... no other DVR/Receiver models are allowed.

3. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    litz. thanks for the quick reply. So no DVR with the HS17, huh. Does D* give a reason for this? So since I do like the ability to rewind live TV, then it will be the HR54 for me. This will still require one C61 as the 4K client, correct?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The HS17 is a DVR. All clients, like the C61k, get their signals from it. All act like a DVR but they are using the HS17.
    You can NOT have an HS17 and an HR54 on the same system or account.
    The HS17 only works with clients, no HD receivers or HD DVRs on this system.

ericknolls likes this.
  5. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    Well it looks like we're not going back to D* When presented with the final price & most importantly, the 2 year subscription, my wife decided that one year of free Sunday Ticket was not worth the cost.

I have read elsewhere that perhaps in the fourth quarter of this year, that att may offer full-on DirecTV satellite subscriptions over the internet. If this is true & as long as I can have multiple streams & NOT PAY any type of equipment fees & no long term commitments, then we would probably go for that. We would even be willing to pay full freight for Sunday Ticket at that point.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It isn't known what form the new product will take. It is supposed to be introduced before the end of the year, and offer pretty much the same experience as Directv satellite. It sounds like it will come with clients (no Genie though) so I'm guessing there will still be equipment fees. According to the AT&T CEO it'll cost less, since Directv won't have to send an installer etc. That up front cost is the main reason for commitments so they will probably be eliminated or mostly eliminated.

Have to wait and see if it will include NFLST, one would assume it will but it is all down to the contract they have with the NFL and you know what happens when lawyers get involved :)

7. Sep 4, 2018 #7 of 61
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, if its anything like DirecTV Now... how is it going to be cheaper? $75/mo for 125 channels sounds more expensive to me then the $98 I'm paying for Preferred Xtra (assuming I can't get my friggin discounts back soon :().

I tried using the included service with a regular DirecTV account a while back and it was awful, you can't skip over commercials, lots of buffering (even on my 1Gbps connection), no trick play.

8. Sep 4, 2018 #8 of 61
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it can support two UHD streams to UHD TV max, while you can have three C61k
    RVU is not recommended - see many posts here with pro&contra

9. Sep 4, 2018 #9 of 61
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    we have dedicated thread about "HS17-100" with all kind of questions/answers

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With DIRECTV, the current model is and has been, two-year contracts with new customers. I've never heard of anyone getting that waived.

11. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    I misspoke. I meant the promo is the first year of Sunday ticket is free but the two year commitment to D* is as you stated.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's gonna end up costing about what the sat service costs. This is their answer to cord cutting. Again, I don't really see why anyone would need D* Now, except for sports...just can't get over that hurdle.

Rich

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The AT&T CEO has claimed it will be cheaper. I guess by not having a Genie it will save some money, and by not requiring a truck roll to install but being self-install instead it'll save some cost up front. Directv seems to have a lot of wiggle room on pricing, given that they will offer people substantial credits to stay.

My thought is that they'll basically price it with most of those credits "built in" so you won't be able to call them up and get $20-$40 off for a year with the new product since it'll be starting with most of that price cut built in (so likely little or no chance to get credits on this offering like you can with satellite)

But we'll have to wait and see what the pricing actually is. But you have to assume it will be cheaper, since the AT&T CEO said so more than once during an earnings call. Just have to wait and see how much cheaper, whether it is really cheaper than Directv is for those customers who call in and get credits every year, and whether the disadvantages (like cloud DVR) outweigh the savings.

14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, DirecTV Now isn't cheaper and that's almost the same thing. I just can't imagine the user experience being that great since its not that great on any streaming service in regards to trick play, buffering, etc.

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well I agree but the people like us who are making use of a lot of trick play type features aren't the target market for streaming MVPDs. Its the more casual viewer who probably doesn't even bother to skip commercials half the time.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My assumption is it's gonna be damn near as much as the sat service. Give them a couple years and let's see what happens.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Given a choice between anything D* puts out in the cable replacement line and sat service I cannot see losing the security the sat service provides. If the Internet goes down...that's it if you have a CRS. Net goes down with sat service and you can still record content. Might not be able to use MRV but it's a whole lot better than nothing...just nothing. You cut the cord completely and the Net goes down no CRS is gonna work. Simply put, I think the combo of streaming video services and sat service is what I'm gonna stick with.

Trick play using video streaming services and an ATV, FTV is still pretty good. I have no complaints. I'd like to try an ATV on a baseball game, I've never been able to do that. I've given that some thought and I don't see why using an ATV or an FTV would be a problem but I can't say that for sure without trying it. Always more to learn.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I cannot imagine anyone not wanting to skip commercials. I'd like to think we as a nation are smarter than that. I know some might actually enjoy commercials. I do like commercials, I find them to be very informative. What I don't like is the repetition of the commercials. That's just annoying.

Rich

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Maybe its different now, but I remember Nielsen did a study a while back and found that almost half of people watching recorded stuff 1-3 days later were watching the commercials.

I think those people give true meaning to the term "couch potato" if they're too lazy to skip commercials! :D

I guess it is people like that whom stuff like Dish's auto hop and Tivo's skipmode were made for (though the latter still requires pressing one button so might not be enough!)

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I FF through all commercials and for "live" viewing, I usually give the DVR 15 minutes to buffer enough so I can skip through commercials. Funny, I was watching a movie on OVTV this weekend, at least i tried... that channel is LITERALLY 3 mins of movie, 3 mins of commercial, 3 mins of movie, etc. I turned it off. Even with trick play that's too much.

Rich and P Smith like this.