1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going blind searching. R22 to PC? Possible

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by koalamotorsport, Mar 30, 2010.

1. koalamotorsport

koalamotorsport New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I've googled to death and see nothing that says outright, YES or NO.

I have a Directv R22 DVR.

Can I hook it up to a PC so that I can watch recorded video on my laptop?

If so, how?

I have plugged a LAN Cable into it, to a router that the laptop is also connected to. The laptop sees nothing. I've looked at setup on the DVR, and it has a section to add IP addresses, etc, but I have no idea what to enter in it. I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to computers outside of vehicles.

Can anyone definitively tell me that it can't be done, or if it can, how to do it. Hell, I'd pay someone to help me get it working if it's possible, rather than upgrading to a more expensive monthly payment for an HD DVR. I have no interest in HD for itself, but if that's the route I have to take to get shows onto my laptop, I'll do it.
    My wife is a sports freak and I am SOOOOOO sick of Basketball, Baseball, Football and worst of all, NASCAR, that I'm ready to put a bullet in her head. I can avoid that, and the resulting prison sentence. if I can sit here with my laptop and my Bose headphones, watching the shows I want to watch.

Thanks for anyone that can help a newbie

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
  3. koalamotorsport

Mar 30, 2010
    Seriously?

Hmmmm. I'll dig a bit more, after Directv's website comes back up. Seems the web site is about as reliable as the satellite service.

Meantime, are you sure? Because everything I read, including what they state on their web site, says that this program allows streaming video from any Directv HD DVR.

Brett

4. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    Yes, DIRECTV2PC will work with an R22 since the R22 is really an HD DVR in disguise. In fact if you were to add a 'real' HD receiver and HD access to your account, your R22 would become an HD DVR. One thing to keep in mind however, is that the R22 has been discontinued and if it ever needs to be replaced you may well get an R15 or R16 instead; and they won't work with DIRECTV2PC.

5. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Get a Hava or Slingbox. Those allow to record via analog to your pc

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's not true anymore. Defective R22's will be replaced with R22's now.

- Merg

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Doing it here with no problems.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    :( I sold my owned R22 and bought a HR20 because they used to be swapped for R15/R16. Oh well, I guess it will work out better in the long run...

9. koalamotorsport

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks. Downloaded and installed.

Now I get to take on the 3 week ordeal of getting the computer to see the DVR.

Both are hardwired to a hub. The hub is not connected to the internet. Anyone care to suggest if that is a problem in itself?

Running Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.

Thanks

Brett

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Shouldn't be.

Make sure that any firewall software that you have on the PC is setup to allow the PC to be able to see other devices on your network. As soon as I hook up a computer to my network, it automatically finds a DirecTV Media device. When you run the test on the DVR, does everything pass except for Internet? Also, is the DVR getting assigned a valid IP address (not 169.254.x.x)?

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

- Merg

11. koalamotorsport

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome mate.

Turned out the router I was using was bad. It was an old one I dug out of a box to try this setup. No internet connection to it either, which would have been a problem, as I found out.

On a hunch, I moved our active wireless router to the machine and cabled it. Everything started working perfectly.

I can now watch TV on my laptop, so I can watch my shows while my wife watches her sports. Love it!

Thanks for the help from you guys. I was about to give up.

Brett