going crazy trying to get networking working on my HR20-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by swspjcd, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 13
    swspjcd

swspjcd Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    I can't for the life of me, get my HR10-100 to connect to the internet. My setup looks like this:
    My DSL modem and Linksys router are both on the third floor. There is ethernet running throughout the house with homeruns all going to the third floor. Because I have more than one device in my stereo rack in the living room with ethernet, I have a 8 port 10/100 linksys switch that all my devices are plugged into including my HR20-100. That switch is then plugged into the wall outlet which is a homerun to the third floor patch panel. The port from the living room in the patch panel has a cable going into my linksys router. Everytime I test it, I am able to get to the network but the internet test fails. I am currently running dd-wrt firmware on my linksys router. I have tried dd-wrt v23SP2 and v24RC3 and neither of them seems to make a difference. UPNP is turned off in router. Could the problem the switch in the living room? If so, would a different switch work or is it that I don't have a straight connection from the HR20-100 directly into the linksys router? I do have a spare linksys router that I am going to plug my laptop into and also the HR20-100 and see if it is even getting an ip address as when I tried using DHCP, it still got an 169.*.*.* address so I am not even sure that DHCP is working correctly.
    I'm running out of things to try so anyone else have any suggestions on things to try?
    Thanks.

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 13
    dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    Have you tried turning it on ?

If you're HR20 is getting a proper IP, and the Default Gateway and DNS look right, then the problem with internet connectivity is almost certainly either in your router or switch.

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 13
    rayzor1211

rayzor1211 Cool Member

Sep 25, 2007
    If you haven't, try a menu reset on the HR20

That worked for mine.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 13
    dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    More information, partially gleaned from this thread:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1271762&postcount=1

Apparently it is connecting to bbvds.dtvbb.tv
    That address does not respond to ping requests, and after a router in Level3's Los Angeles facility, a traceroute no longer responds:
    See if your DNS lookup service can resolve that site's IP by doing a traceroute from a PC.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 13
    dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    That's a laugh!!! I've done some extensive packet captures with the HR20. Sometimes it never even attempts to access the internet during the "CONNECT NOW" sequence.

6. swspjcd

swspjcd Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    I've been at this all afternoon now and still haven't made any progress but I have discovered some things. I have tried with both UPNP on and off in my router. Neither fixed the problem. I tried setting the DVR to get an ip address via DHCP which it seems like it did *but* the mac address shown in my router in the DHCP client table does not match the mac address shown in the ADVANCED setup screen under NETWORK. One ends in 8E and the other ends in 8F. That was surprising. I've tried putting the assigned address in the DMZ but still no internet connection success. I really don't want to have to reset the whole DVR and lose all my recordings so if it come down to that, I will live without VOD. When I assigned a static ip address to the DVR and then looked in the router's outgoing log, I don't even see the assigned static ip address trying to connect at all. Very odd.

7. swspjcd

swspjcd Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    I haven't done packet captures but I have installed KIWI SYSLOG Daemon on a workstation in my home network and then turned on all logging options in my router and pointed it at the workstation with KIWI installed. I can see all kinds of traffic going through the router (wireless camera,print server, HR10-250, other workstations in my network etc) but very few accessess from the HR20-100 even though I have tried doing CONNECT NOW multiple times. The output from the syslog daemon for the dvr looks like this:

11-10-2007 17:51:35 User.Warning WRT54GS Nov 10 23:49:35 kernel: ACCEPT IN=br0 OUT= MAC=00:16:01:9a:ee:22:00:18:9b:f8:9f:8f:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.33 DST=192.168.1.1 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=16799 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32776 DPT=53 LEN=40 <000>

Sometimes doing a CONNECT NOW will generate an entry like the above. Sometimes, it does absolutely nothing even though both generate "Not Connected (22)" errors. I think there is something seriously wrong with the networking in these boxes.

8. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I got mine to connect after turning off all UPnP things on the network, rebooting the HR20, and immediately doing a CONNECT NOW after the reboot.

If anyone is interested, the URL that it attempts to connect to during a CONNECT NOW is...

http://bbvds.dtvbb.tv/download/connectivity.ats

I was able to pull the URL using W3M on a Linux box, but putting that address in your browser will not work. It appears to be a file with either binary data or garbage. I haven't had a chance to investigate further.

9. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    There have been reports of UPnP devices messing with the HR20's on the network. Try removing everything from the network and see if you can get it going, then start adding them back in until you find what was crashing the connection.

Click on the link in my signature for more network help.

10. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    My bad...I was actually able to pull the connectivity.ats file down tonight by clicking on the link. No clue why it didn't work before.

I did a binary dump and it appears to be a file full of the following repeating hex pattern...

Code:
    47 1F FF 10 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
    FF FF FF FF 

I wonder if a copy of this file is on the HR20 and the downloaded copy has to match the stored copy in order for the connection to be considered successful.

11. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes, when watching the HR20 and capturing the data during a network test, you will see a get command and I think the name of the file is index.htm, then it does a checksum. After passing the checksum the OK is reported to the network test screen on the HR20.

12. swspjcd

swspjcd Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    Well. not to resurrect a thread I started awhile ago but here are some updates. I still can't connect to the internet and here is everything I tried while I was home sick the other day. I tried 2 different routers using several versions of dd-wrt/linksys and sveasoft talisman firmwares. Nothing seems to help. I powered off everything in my network and tried only the hr20-100 and still no internet connection. I've tried static and dhcp address and resetting the dvr with no change. I'm at a complete loss at this point. Just for the heck of it I'm going to try replacing some ethernet cables and see if that helps but unfortunately some of the cables are in the walls and I'm not about to tear the house apart for that, especially when other devices going across the same in-wall cables are working. Very frustrating. I still have to believe it's a problem with the firmware in the hr20-100 but who knows at this point?!

13. swspjcd

swspjcd Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    And for what it's worth, I have yet to be able to get the network test (telnet x.x.x.x 49152) to even work on my hr20-100. I never get the reply expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.