Going crazy with C51K/C61K audio dropouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SamS, Sep 18, 2016.

1. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    I didn't come here to complain, more like get a sanity check, Because after weeks of troubleshooting, I'm completely baffled.

Here's my setup:
    • HR54 - in master bedroom
    • C61K - living room to 4K TV
    • C61K and/or C51K - in media room, currently to 1080p TV
    • C41W - in kids' play area w/wireless bridge
    Shortly after original installation, I started experiencing dropouts on the C61K that is connected to a (soon to be upgraded) 1080p TV. I figured I wouldn't get much sympathy from DIRECTV, since I wasn't using the box as intended. So, I ordered a C51K for that 1080p in hopes of curing audio dropouts I experienced via HDMI and the digital coax output.

C51K arrived, and dropouts continued. Here are the things I tried/replaced:
    • New HDMI cables (tried several, actually), included brand new "certified" 18Gbps from Monoprice
    • New coax cable from wall to box
    • New power supply
    • New RG-6 termination in room
    • New RG-6 termination at home run location/splitter
    • New splitter (the tech gave me a spare when he brought out the C51K)
    ^^^ Basically, I have tried everything! Coax cable is brand new Belden 1694A, that is also used for every other run in the house. Distance run from splitter is <30ft.

And here is the crazy thing! If I remove the C61K/C51K, and replace it with the C41W... no dropouts! How can this be? And please don't recommend I just keep the C41K in that room permanently, it has a purpose and I want a hard-wired box where it is. So having a "working" C41K pretty much rules out an HDMI or receiver issue.

The dropouts happen on all channels, and when they get bad, I lose the audio signal several times a minute. Typically the picture is not affected, but I have recently noticed a black screen that corresponds with the audio dropout. I am using the Dolby Digital setting, and if I change it to stereo, the audio still mutes, but my receiver doesn't always lose the "lock" on the stereo signal.

I feel pretty confident that both C61K and C51K have latest software. In fact, the C61K was not hooked up for a few weeks, and when I reconnected it today, it took a new firmware download. Didn't impact the audio dropouts.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting almost everything, but I came here because I've tried every single thing I can think of and I'm at my wit's end.

2. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    Just for fun, I decided to run a new/different RG-6 straight from the splitter, directly into the C51K, bypassing the in-wall wiring altogether. Unfortunately, audio dropouts still occurred, this time typically in conjunction with a black screen.

The way I see it, there can be only two possibilities:
    1. I have both a bad C51K and C61K. Seems like a rare chance, and even more rare that their symptoms are identical.
    2. My Denon AVP-A1HDCI processor has some kind of HDMI compatibility issue with only C51K/C61K, but not a C41K. Also seems like a rare chance, because this processor has never hiccuped on any HDMI source.

3. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    The C61k dropouts did get worse lately. It was nearly impossible to watch NFL Sunday ticket today. Audio dropouts occur on every HD channel but I haven't had any on the 4k channels. Mine is hooked up directly to a Vizio P65 and, like you, replaced it with my 41W and it works without dropouts. Clearly the C61's have something seriously wrong with them if the threads are to be believed. Dropouts have been occuring for MONTHS!!

1 person likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a known issue. Here's the official pacifier...... "Greetings......Thank you for your patience as we continue to find a resolution to this issue. Any updates regarding this issue will be sent to you via email immediately. We will update you as we continue to investigate this issue. We appreciate your support regarding this matter......Thank you for choosing DIRECTV!".

2 people like this.
  5. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    Oh no.

I would think that there are hundreds of thousands of C51Ks out there, which seems like a massive defect. Is there any point in even opening a ticket?

6. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Is this only an issue if you have the C61 connected to an AV receiver? We used ours all day yesterday and between NFL, MLB and The Renevant, didn't experience a single audio dropout. We have it connected directly to our tv, since it has an outstanding built-in speaker system.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have had zero audio dropouts on my C61 since the firmware update a few months back

8. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    Unfortunately, connecting to a receiver (processor, in my case) is my only real option, as my display has no speakers.

My C61K updated yesterday, but no impact to the dropouts. Is there a way to check the firmware version?

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Menu- Settings- Info and test- the AVR may be the issue. I dont have one

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Which firmware? My C61K-700 came with ox8a7 in June, received ox8b6 in August yet the audio drop outs persist.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's not a AVR issue. I bypassed my AVR and still experienced audio drop outs. I've been told by DIRECTV it's a known issue and they are working on it. I stated their official response in post #4.

1 person likes this.
  12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    For some people, bypassing their AVR solves the problem, but not for everyone so there is still an issue.

13. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    I am starting to think its an issue with older/different HDMI receiver (not AVR, the actual SiliconImage chipset that accepts the HDMI signal).

For example, I haven't noticed the dropouts with a C61K and a Denon AVR-X4200W receiver, feeding a Samsung JS8500 4K set. If the dropouts happen, they're not nearly as obvious with my other receiver/processor.

Sometimes there are transmission or timing errors within the HDMI signal, that some AVRs/TVs deal with better than others. Usually these can be fixed on the sat/cable box side, since very few receivers get regular firmware updates for this sort of thing.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried running a digital or optical cable to the AVR for the sound and see what that does ?

15. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    Yes, same dropouts.

16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have 8b6 and have no audio issues since the last FW directly to my JS8500 I did before 8a7

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you did this, did you disconnect the HDMI form the AVR and run it directly from the receiver to the TV ?

18. SamS

SamS Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Texas
    Yes, this was one of the first troubleshooting steps I did. I recall it vividly, because I'm using one of those "lockable" HDMI connections from my receiver (processor) to the display, and taking that thing off was a serious pain.

I'm now thinking it's an EDID issue, and I just happened to get this box pictured below. I guess I will try to fool around with one of these EDID settings on the right to see if it makes a difference.
    [​IMG]

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    OK, you just went way over my head.
    Thanks and good luck.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Since others have the issue too I wouldn't mess with those settings. Eventually there will be a software update and the changes could cause issues then. Or at least make sure you can go back to all the settings before you start.