1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from Multiswitch to SWM - One HR24 works, one doesn't...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BillyBob_jcv, Dec 1, 2018.

1. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    I just moved into a new house. My old house had a Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch with a 21-35v power inserter that came with the Multiswitch. I have two receivers, an HR24-100 and an HR24-200. Both worked perfectly at the old house. I had two cables running from the multiswitch to each receiver and two B-Band converters for each receiver.

The new house came already wired with a dish with an SWM LNB and an 8 port SWM splitter. Unfortunately, the previous owner took the power inserter, so I installed the inserter from my multiswitch on the appropriate port of the SWM multiswitch. I connected a single cable to SMW-2 port on each receiver and I am NOT using the B-Band converters.

I went through the sat set-up on the HR24-200 and everything works great - absolutely no issues. HOWEVER, the HR24-100 is NOT working. It is giving me various error messages - sometimes it says the SWM registration has failed, sometimes it tells me to disconnect the B-Band converter (which is not connected!) The "Recheck SWM" is grayed-out and I can't select it, however it seems to have auto-detected the dish model and the SWM. At one point I actually had a good signal and picture, then it gave me an SWM registration error and told me I had to restart the receiver.

My first thought was (of course) the non-D* power inserter - but if that was the problem, why would one receiver work and one not work?? Could the SWM portion of the HR24-100 be bad and it wasn't problem on my old multiswitch? This isn't my first rodeo - I've been on D* for 15+ years, but I'm baffled.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Switch the receivers and see if the problem goes with the defective receiver or stays in that room.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Reason-Wrong Voltage -- I would suggest you get a Pi-29 and unplug your setup before you fry everything - Try Solid signal -or call D* and they send you one

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You need the correct power inserter, the one you are using isn't a power inserter, it is designed to power the multiswitch not the dish

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I see several issues to look at..

First you have to change to the right pi as others have said.

Second, I’d get a new two way splitter, no need for an 8 way. Also is the 8 way terminated on all unused ports?

I’d also put the pi between the splitter and the dish, no reason to have it after.

Also, please clarify which input you are using on the receiver. It should be tuner 1 I think, not 2, but not sure if you are referring to that or that it says swim and denotes it is for both tuners, been a long time since I looked at one.

But without the proper pi, don’t expect your system to work right. Same goes for unterminated ports on the splitter.