Gold Rush

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by compnurd, Jan 13, 2019.

1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Never had this issue before But the first air date is wrong on the last two weeks of Gold Rush which I think is messing up it not recording. For example this last weeks Sucker Punch first aired this Friday but the first aired date in the guide/app shows 1/4. Next weeks episode Old School Hero’s shows a first air date of 1/11 but obviously hasn’t aired yet. Zap2it has the wrong data also

Interestingly Rovi which has a ton of guide issues has it right

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. dakn2

dakn2 Cool Member

Sep 20, 2002

Hmmm...I had thought it strange there was no new episode recorded from last week.

Now I'll have to check this as well.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Glad to see it isn't always Rovi that has guide data issues. Ever since Tivo switched to Rovi (which makes sense since Rovi bought them) a few years ago the number of goofy things I see in the guide data has increased tenfold.

The majority of the cases are either a movie showing up without a description (i.e. a clone of an identical entry for that movie that includes the description) or they will screw up and list the wrong version of a movie with the same name. Sometimes it is obvious, like if my guide says Paramount is showing the 1959 version of Ben Hur with Charleton Heston, you KNOW they are really showing the recent one instead because they don't show old movies. Other times you don't really know unless you record it and don't get what you thought you were gonna get.

Sometimes on local stations they'll show a movie as running for an hour - if I catch it when I set the recording I'll pad it out a few hours to catch the whole thing. If I don't notice and I see I've recorded a movie and the play bar only shows 1 hr 1 minute then I know I got screwed by guide data and just delete it without starting to watch something I won't be able to finish.

At least the really bad stuff from the first few months has been fixed, but I don't know why they can't get the movie stuff right. If I worked them for I'd set up a sanity checker that screenscrapes zap2it.com and compares their guide data and flags differences, to provide hints on where to look for problems...

4. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    If you notice the description for episode 13 "Sucker Punch" part of it refers to Gold Rush: White Water.

5. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Discovery channel (and NatGEO) has a way of manipulating air dates on their shows in the guide. Drives me insane trying to keep up with their shows.