Gone a long time...bit of advice needed.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PCHDTV, Oct 20, 2019.

1. PCHDTV

PCHDTV Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    I’ve been a DTV subscriber for nearly 20 years, but I haven’t kept up with the advances of the hardware. I have an ancient HR-24 that I’d like to upgrade - for a better GUI experience if nothing else. I’m a 4K user, but have no interest in DTV’s offerings. All that said, what unit should I politely ask for if I call DTV? Just looking for the latest unit that I can swap right into my system, no installer required. Thanks in advance.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Really not much wrong with the 24s aside from the old HDDs in them and that problem is easy to fix. The upgrade would be to a Genie. They offer 44s, 54s and HS17s. Not sure about installs.

Rich

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    We need more information to give you a better answer.
    Do you have other receivers ? If yes, what models are they ?

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't think the GUI on a Genie is an improvement over the 24.

5. PCHDTV

PCHDTV Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    One other receiver in a bedroom. H24 I believe.

6. PCHDTV

PCHDTV Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    Good to know.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The latest hardware is the HS17 Genie 2. If you get one of those, you cannot have any other H or HR units (such as the HR24). The only thing you get are clients for each television location, that are "slaves" to the HS17.

The next step down is the HR44 and HR54 DVRs. Those are also referred to as Genies. They can be used as stand alone devices (such as the HR24), and can also support clients. The HR54 is capable of supporting a 4K client while the HR44 is not 4K capable.

DirecTV will almost certainly try to talk you into an HS17. There are many satisfied HS17 customers, it is a reliable unit. The main disadvantage is that you cannot retain any older H/HR units.

If your HR24 and H24 are serving your needs, there is no real need to upgrade. However, they are getting old and the hard drive in the HR24 will eventually die. So you can choose when to take the plunge and replace it, now or later. If you want 4K capability, then upgrade to the HS17 and get two clients (one for each TV location).

jimmie57, PCHDTV and compnurd like this.
  8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree. That GUI sucks when watching sports. What gets me is they had the perfect template and they chose to make something else. They should have left it alone. Nothing wrong with the Genies, I think my 44 is a superb DVR but the software makes it damn near unusable.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is not something you get used to. I didn't like it from the get-go and I still prefer to watch TV using a 24.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Read post #7 of this thread. Good information that you will need.

If you want to keep your 24 and make it work a lot better read this thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?
    Let me summarize that thread: The HRs all have internal hard drives that are years older than they should be. They don't work well. You can revive your 24 by using an SSD rather than a hard disk drive (HDD). Doing this will make your 24 run better than it ever has. Read the thread.

Rich

PCHDTV likes this.
  11. jones_hdtv

jones_hdtv AllStar

Oct 4, 2011
    I agree with Rich. I put a SSD on my hr24 a couple months ago and it works excellent so far. Also the software on the genies leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. I almost always watch my TVs using an HR 24 and use HR 44 as a server.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do use my 44 from time to time. But like you I use it mainly as a server. Damn shame, it's a great DVR hindered by the software. Best DVR I've ever had.

Rich

13. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    This is hilarious and, really, Directv in a nutshell.

"I've been gone a really long time and haven't kept up with the hardware changes at all - I know technology changes fast so what great things am I missing."

Ummm, nothing. Almost everyone that has utilizes standalone DVRs uses that unit...except for the people that have older stuff.