Good Alternatives to DTV and Dish

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by lotboy16, Oct 26, 2010.

1. lotboy16

lotboy16 AllStar

Apr 26, 2009
    So i am looking for some suggestions about possibly switching from D*. I know that i cant get a better bang for my buck from dish or cable but what are other viable options where i will have a diverse viewing experience. I have Netflix already streaming through my 360 but what else could i do to get away from D* that would still give me alot of choices. Google TV? Hulu Plus? or anything else.

2. lotboy16

lotboy16 AllStar

Apr 26, 2009
    BTW, i currently have premier and 2 hd dvrs, whole home, and a sd ird.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Aside from the two satellite companies, you have the two big telecoms (AT&T's Uverse and Verizion's FIOS), and the cable companies.

That's about it if you're looking for any kind of wide range of mainstream TV programming.

Certainly you get get *some* programming from Hulu, and some from Netflix, but nothing available online can compare to a "full service" TV provider like the ones listed above. And that probably won't change in the next 5 years.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    windows media center w/ netflix and hulu integration, plus OTA tuners, FM radio, xm radio, ripped dvd library, mp3 library, and content from all across the web.

dish network nor any other provider cannot compare to the media experience i have with this setup.

i just bought the new version of secondrun.tv but haven't set it up yet. looks very promising for streamlining the process. check out the video on their website; http://www.secondrun.tv

5. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Forget the lousy U-verse service. First, they have the worst HD PQ among all the televisionn providers. More importantly, they have recently DROPPED a slew of channels including the Hallmark channels, and the Scripps stations(HGTV, FOOD Net. and some others) they carry no sub-channels in any market, No MLB Net, and their csr's are among the worst. And in many markets you can't get more than two hd streams pewr household.