1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bye LA high speed chases???

Discussion in 'The OT' started by juan ellitinez, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2006 #1 of 16
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
  2. Feb 7, 2006 #2 of 16
    Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Now that is an interesting concept and one that should work. Lets hope its use doesnt get corrupted.

3. Feb 7, 2006 #3 of 16
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    I t will

4. Feb 7, 2006 #4 of 16
    Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    what if you hit a person with said golf ball sized GPS goo ball? lol. Ouch.

5. Feb 7, 2006 #5 of 16
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What will my mother in law do now, with no high speed chases to sit and watch?

6. Feb 7, 2006 #6 of 16
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Geez, I wan't a gumball gun. I can shoot it at that hot chick's car that I see everyday on the freeway. That way I can find out where she works and lives and then I can stalk her.:nono2:

7. Feb 7, 2006 #7 of 16
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Until the crooks just steal just ditch the car they are driving (presuming it was stolen). Then they get away.

Or they stop at a gas station, take it off and put it on an unsuspecting car driving away.

8. Feb 7, 2006 #8 of 16
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Aren't these the same guys who chased a white ford bronco at 40 mph for what seemed like an eternity on live tv? :)

More seriously, I agree with CDRU. Its an interesting concept, but what happens when they ditch the car or find the device. It would have to have some "permanence", sort of like that die they put in money the bank robbers take. What they need is to put some kind of EM generator to go off on cue and knock out the car's electrical system. Unfortunately, I don't think the technology is there.

9. Feb 8, 2006 #9 of 16
    Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Technology or not its a whole lot better than chasing someone for a stolen car, and wrecking the neighborhoods full of cars to catch them. A stolen car is not worth those wrecked cars or lives that they cause the harm to while doing high speed chases.
    But then again we have to remember this is LA or Hollywood. Look we can be on TV. We are stars today. Don't matter what neighborhood we put it danger. Just chase the bad guy at 90 to 110 MPH. Don't matter how many cars we bounce off of or wreck. Just chase the guy and be on TV. Maybe if we started holding the dumber cops to higher standards they wouldn't be so stupid. Na they want to be on TV. They don't care if they bounce off the poor working mans car, and make him or her have to sue the city or file paperwork to get there car replaced or repaired. That poor individual still has to get to work the next day and care for there family. So yes I say it is a good thing that they are finally ending this stupid practice of putting lives in danger.

10. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I think some of the thought is as the suspect vehicle comes to a stop, cop cars have been getting closer and closer to it. Once it stops, the cops are almost on top of it anyway. At least that's how it seems it would work to me...

11. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree, with the help of the GPS, they can get cars out in front of the vehicle therefore eliminating the need to keep it in sight by chasing it. They should also put some type of paintball in there. A bright color that doesnt wash off too easily and could be seen by a helicopter.

12. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    You haven't seen the movie 2Fast 2Furious have you? I think it's still in the testing stage, if it ever comes out.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Hey, if the car has the GPS on it, all you need is one helicopter to keep track of it. If the perp ditches the car, you can still follow discreetly.

14. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    It's not a chase when no one is chasing. I believe the criminals dumb enough to think they can outrun the cops and the helicopters are dumb enough to even consider looking at their rear bumper when they stop.

I have yet to see a person being chased go to the airport, or can the police copters fly in a no-fly zone?

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The cops may stop the high speed chases, but that doesn't mean the news copters won't follow them every foot of the way. Today, once a helicopter has you located, you haven't got a chance. The gps ball would just simplify it. The spotters in the helicopter are going to know if you switch cars.

16. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    To the best of my knowledge (which in aviation law is limited) most airports are no fly zones without authorization from the tower (basically to eliminate chance of crashing into a plane landing or taking off).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.