DBSTalk Forum banner

Good Install Today with HR44

4K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  peds48 
#1 ·
Just wanted to comment on a good installer today. Didn't know DirecTV still did sidemounts on a house, but, it went well. Also, got a new HR44--didn't realize my area (central PA) was in the area for one.

What's the customary tip to give an installer, by the way?

#2 ·
Great to hear, as I too had a great install yesterday for a genie/hr44 and 3/C41-100 mini clients.

Tech was kind and courteus and on time.He removed my old Slimeline 5 and old wiring from my 08 install and basically did a clean sweep all the way around with a new dish and wiring.

As far as tipping,I was not sure if you tip them or not.I was just as equally as kind and offered refreshments and finger snacks to make him feel at ease and comfortable.

#3 ·
a "jackson" is considered "customary"

as far as "finger" food, I try not to give those out as some many folks are allergic to all kinds of stuff. and when given out "refreshments" make sure they are in a closed container (bottle).

#8 ·
I've never tipped the BrightHouse guy,The Uverse guy,The Phone company guy, so I felt I would give the Directv guy equal treatment.

I only tip waiters and waitresses where food poisoning might come into play. :smoking:

#10 ·
tips really come into place on this job at the beginning of the job. I have many customers that "greets" me with a $50 dollar bill on their hand when saying hello, for these folks I would go out of my way to make sure everything is done beautifully. well for those who do not tip of tip after, they the get well a "standard professional installation"

#11 ·
Tipping a Jackson seems fair for a good install;

But I admit I have problems getting around the nagging feeling that now instead of (unless I can it waived on the original order of course) the standard $49.95 installation fee, I'm now effectively paying $69.95. :mellow:

#12 ·
peds48 said:
tips really come into place on this job at the beginning of the job. I have many customers that "greets" me with a $50 dollar bill on their hand when saying hello, for these folks I would go out of my way to make sure everything is done beautifully. well for those who do not tip of tip after, they the get well a "standard professional installation"
The problem that I've had with this methodology is that my experience with Mastec installers has been very spotty. I've had guys who didn't bring the proper equipment with them, who have incorrectly told me that multi switches couldn't be connected the way that I wanted them connected, until I pulled the installation instructions out of the box and showed them an diagram proving that my desired connection methodology was correct (this one actually saved the installer a trip onto my roof, so it wasn't a matter of me asking to do something more difficult). I've been told that I don't have line of sight when I tried to have a Slimline installed, with no supervisor follow-up even after I requested one. When I hired an installer, he was shocked saying that I had perfect line of sight. I would have been really pissed had I tipped these guys upon arrival.

On the other hand, I've had other installers (mostly doing new installs at friend's houses, but some at my house) who have been excellent. I would happily tip them up front if they showed up at my door again. But, with as many bad installer experiences that I've had over the past 17 years, that's not a chance that I want to with an unknown entity.

#14 ·
242424 said:
Anyone that has to be bribed at the start of a job to do good work should probably be replaced. Pride in their work should be their main motivator.
I agree totally with this statement. I tip for exceptional service, except at those places where the tip is routine like service industries such as waiters or waitresses. I also concur with the previous statement that of the last 10 mastec employees I have had the "pleasure" of working with, whatever they were paid was too much except one of them, which I tipped after the job.

#16 ·
The good ones that deserve tips don't need to be supervised. On the other hand, if they are doing something that I've never seen before, I still like to watch what they are doing so I can learn from them.

In those cases, I will tell/ask them if they mind upfront. For example, I saw my first SWM install at a friend's house. At the time, it was brand new technology. I told the installer that I hadn't seen a SWM install yet and asked if he minded if I watched him. Once he was done installing the dish on the roof, he stuck his head in the house and told me that he was about to install the splitter and power inserter. While he was installing that, he was telling me why he was doing what he was doing and what would need to be done in order to add additional receivers in the future. That information came in very handy, the next year, when my friend had a pool bar built in his back yard. I was able to tell him exactly where a trench needed to be dug in order to run a new coax line from the bar to the location of splitter. Then, once the bar was finished and the TV installed, I was able to get it connected for him.

#19 ·
242424 said:
Anyone that has to be bribed at the start of a job to do good work should probably be replaced. Pride in their work should be their main motivator.
So true.

I'll have to remind myself if I need another install service for another room in my house to tell the customer service rep not to send Peds48 to my place because all he's gonna get is a cold coca a cola and a pat on the back.. :grin:

#20 ·
So true.

I'll have to remind myself if I need another install service for another room in my house to tell the customer service rep not to send Peds48 to my place because all he's gonna get is a cold coca a cola and a pat on the back.. :grin:
Pretty sure peds is referring to asking someone To do work outside the scope of what they are supposed to do.

#21 ·
inkahauts said:
Pretty sure peds is referring to asking someone To do work outside the scope of what they are supposed to do.
I'am just busting his chops.

He has been very helpful on these forums,he's helped me quite a bit since my new install.

#22 ·
Unless you go above and beyond your normal paying job, or make $2.50 an hour, your not getting a tip.

I don't really see why you feel you need one.

I most times do tip the Directv guys, $10-$20 depending , But only if they seem professional and don't look like they are expecting one..
$50, Never! you want a tip, Ask Directv for more money!

I Deal with homeowners daily as well. We agree on a price and that's that.

If you installers feel your entitled to a Tip because the Homeowner got a free install, well I feel sorry for you because its not like you brought the equipment from your house and installed it for free.
Waitress well they bring you food and clean up your mess.
Directv installed makes their own mess and cleans up their own mess. So why should that call for a tip?

Reactions: sigma1914
#26 ·
Here's a tip for the customers , MOVE all your **** so we can get behind the TV's.

SIG

just for doing this, techs deserve a tip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.