Good time to buy???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Moosestache, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Ok, the big new subscriber sale ends tomorrow and I think I am going to make the leap, but I wanted to know if this was really a good time to buy. Right now its $100 back in a visa card and $26 off the package for a year. Is this much better than usual? Also my dad is a subscriber, and I have gotten conflicting reports as to whether or not I can "double dip" One CSR said no, one said yes, so I'm not counting on the extra $100 for the referral, which I assume is normally there.

Also I will have 2 hd dvrs, I understand that sometime in the maybe not too distant future a tivo dvr will be coming out, am I foolish for getting the Directv dvrs now instead of waiting?

Thanks for da help!!

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    According to the website the $100 card goes away in 2 days so I would say if that appeals to you order "soon".

I wouldn't hold your breath for the HD TIVO. It's been pushed back consistantly and while it's generally agreed it will be at some point this year it's also being called a "premium" so the speculation is that it will carry an upgrade fee no matter what.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    My new signup bonus was just the $26 (or somewhere around that) for 12 months - there was no $100 gift card.

Yes, you can double-dip the new customer bonus and the referral bonus. You may have to politely pressure them but there's no stipulation that says you can't (that I'm aware of at least).

Tivo is still vaporware. It was supposed to come out in 2009. Now it's supposed to come out in 2010. Who knows. :shrug:

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd wait until the current offer expires.

Why?

DirecTV is RAISING THEIR RATES on 2/9/10 so I'm sure they are going to come up with a new offer right after the first of the year to get as many customers as they can before the rate increase is well-publicized.

You will kick yourself if the "new" offer exceeds the present one...

Plus, just like Department Stores have constant sales, DirecTV ALWAYS has some sort of new customer offer. Most of them are very similar or better than the previous one.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Sign up now with the current offer and get an installation date scheduled. If the new offer is better, cancel and sign up again. If you wait, you probably won't be able to get the current offer once it expires.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The current offer isn't going anywhere just the Visa card offer.

7. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    This is better than usual, yes.
    DirecTV-Tivo DRV is not around yet, waiting for a DVR is a mistake since you can always replace the ones you currently use. I think you're saying this from a cost effective standpoint, and crystal-balling doesn't usually reward very well. You'd be better rewarded with getting the service and enjoying it now, then making the move later, if and when it ever comes to fruition.
    Well, I hope this helps...:D

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    deals come and go, you can wait forever thinking the next one will be better even though you have NO WAY of knowing.
    if you want the service, order it.