1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

goodby HS17

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sstv, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Directv swapped out my HS17 for a HR54 and I couldn't be happier. My HS17 had too many problems and was a a pain to operate. JUNK without a doubt. The HR54 has been is operating smooth as silk and I hope this continues. Famous last words !

SSTV

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    hello HR54 ! :)

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Mine is anything but junk... as usual different people and installs will have different experiences...

Wolfmanjohn and MysteryMan like this.
  4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Given that DirecTV appears seem to have based their future business on the the client/server model, that's going to be a huge problem for them if they don't fix this. If their business is going to be based on "one size fits all" then that size better damn well fit all 20 million subscribers (at least if their goal is to retain those 20 million subscribers, it does).

Rich likes this.
  5. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Your lucky, My guide was like a slot machine, never knew where it was going stop. Freeze ups and just odd stuff. The 54 in my opinion, is a much better system.

SSTV

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'll admit up front that I'm happy with my HS17, two C61K, and one C41 client.

I'll also admit up front that it isn't for everybody, and there are legitimate customer needs that the HS17 + client model does not satisfy.

However, if it does satisfy 19,800,000 out of 20,000,000 customers, and the cost to maintain and satisfy the 200,000 "unique" customers that have different/special/unique needs does not result in a satisfactory return on investment (even if those are high paying customers), I can understand (from a business perspective) why DirecTV would "abandon" them.

From a customer perspective, I'd be pretty unhappy if I were among the 200,000.

Wolfmanjohn and MysteryMan like this.
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The HS17 is their first true 'server', and the C61K their first 4K STB. The first one of everything Directv does always has issues. The HS17 is the HR34 of the HS line, the next one will no doubt address a lot of the issues (whether it addresses the limitation of one per account is another matter since that's a business decision)

8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Does either system do a better job with 4K than the other? I have the 17 and the dark picture is intolerable plus the sharpness is on par with SD. Definitely not even close to 720p much less 1080p.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If your picture resembles sd instead of 4k, there is something wrong. It might be a setting, the lnb, maybe cabling.

10. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Nothing has changed with my set up and my 4K PQ used to be spectacular. Many are complaining about a dark picture. My guide when on a 4K channel is so dark you can hardly read it and I have all settings at their brightest and on Standard mode. From a sharpness standpoint everything is slightly fuzzy. This is a Sony XBR75X850C

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Long before the HS17 is in 19,000,000 homes there will be a new top of the line unit.

12. codespy

codespy What....Aaron and Danica? Uggggg...... DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I'm happy with my HR54. I'd be happier if it had caller ID because I'm forced to have a landline, and my wife b!thch3$ when calls don't show up on the TV screen. But I'm really happy that it's an owned unit and I was able to throw a 6TB drive in it without violating the TOS, and can fix on my own if the fan stops blowing!

I'd be really UNHAPPY if it didn't work with my other 12 HD-DVR's or AM21's. ;)

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope, totally out of picture
    concentrate on HDCP/HDMI/HLG HDR settings and the path's components

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    So the path of the signal doesn't include the lnb, good to know.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There is absolutely nothing that can happen in the LNB that would effect picture quality. An LNB problem would give you a picture or no picture (possibly lots of blocking or pixelation), but not degradation of picture quality.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And I have seen plenty of posts with the same issues with an hr54... hr44 ... hr24.... etc.. the only system that was awful for almost everyone was the HR21 and HR34...

And frankly, if it was that bad I’m guessing it had a bad hard drive or some other hardware issue or you had a network issue...

17. tegelad

tegelad New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I have had nearly every DVR they have come out (May 1995 sub), and I will state with the HS17+C61k tied to a 4K Sammie + Yamaha 3060 ..... this unit is "meh" The speed is slower then the HR20 under full load. Long boot up times from off to on, slower (but acceptable) to change channels ... nothing super special.

If I compare it to any Roku or the Nividia Shield ... this thing acts like yesterdays technology overwhelmed.

DirecTV's picture quality is superb, and things work a lot better once I "upgraded" to mirrored 8TB WD Red mirrored drives, but when I used the stock drive (ugh) ...

C- is my grade .... Great Picture quality, slow to respond.
    D- for service .... So many threads on this ....
    F for price .... it is a joke. If they had added 4K and other services like DirecTV used to, the price premium would be fantastic .... but with this dog of a product .... it drops the value prop of the whole service .....

18. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Funny how all the “usual suspects” never have issues, with anything DIRECTV puts out. Boxes, Service, programming etc.

Every post See where someone including me have issues, someone will chime in and they have zero issues, etc.
    Bet most are either the secret test people for DIRECTV, employees or shills.

19. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I'll bet your wrong.

20. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    My new system HR54, HR24 and a mini, is the best system I have ever had. This system is a keeper. The 17 was a nightmare.
    SSTV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.