1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye DirecTV :.(

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jordanzimmerman, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 94
    jordanzimmerman

jordanzimmerman Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    After ~12 years with DirecTV it's time to say goodbye. Tomorrow the Comcast installer is coming and tonight I'm picking up a Tivo HD. As I leave the DirecTV building, I'd like to give a special raspberry to the imbeciles who let the DirecTV/Tivo relationship disintegrate.

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 94
    jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I hope you enjoy your new TIVO! I agree with you, what a poor decision to let TIVO go.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 94
    RandybinSC

RandybinSC AllStar

Aug 5, 2007
    I thought the two companies just came out with an announcement that they will be working together again?

Good luck with Comcast!

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 94
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sure hope that your local Comcast system doesn't move to switched video soon and make your Tivo crippled.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 94
    VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Exactly... you'll be reinvesting in a new TiVo box if that happens... Or end up with a Comcast/TiVo box if they ever release it... Good luck, god speed.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 94
    Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    Bye! See you back here in a few weeks!!!

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 94
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I would take one piece of free advice from those who have posted here. It costs nothing to suspend your D* account as apposed to cancel it. I speak not to sway your decision, just to save you money if you find the grass is not greener.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 94
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm sorry - are you leaving for the sole reason that D* doesn't sell/lease TiVos anymore? To each his own. Good luck with Comcast.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 94
    markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I personally can't stand my tivo dvr after using the HR20 now for 7 months. Good thing it's in the bedroom where the tv rarely comes on. I was a Tivo fan and had hatred for being forced into the HR20 to get my locals in HD. OTA tivo and HR20 is not possible where I am. Basically don't knock it before you try it. (If you have not messed with the HR20 that is).. I am sure Comcast will carry quite a few HD channels if they don't already. They will have to keep up with the DBS providers or face losing a few subs. Good luck with Comcast.

10. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    I agree, I was the same way. and also agree that the hr20 is way better then my dtivo unit. that being said im sure the NEW tivo is superb. I also know that D* has plans for bringing most tivo like options to the hr20.

11. blacker

blacker Mentor

Aug 20, 2006
    i cant stand tivo anymore.. imo the hr20 is so much better and i got a 3rd one on its way :)

12. Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    :thats: Yep, that's for sure. Seriously, though, I hope you have good luck with Comcrap. I had it for a little bit while waiting for my home to be built, and I couldn't wait to get back to DTV.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The grass is greener on the other side. Why? It's usually fertilized with a lot of BS. :lol:

Good luck with cable.

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    jordanzimmerman, I wish you well. Come back and tell us how things are going from time to time. You are always welcome.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    What Tom said. And if the cable company doesn't have the channels you want, try the HR-20, man. I was a Tivo lover too, but the HR-20 won me over.

16. sgnhaf

sgnhaf Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jul 30, 2007
    Capmeister, Cable has a buch of channels DirecTV does not carry, we are not talking fringe channels, but mainstream ones ....

From MTV, VHI, HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, TMC, NICKELODEN (G&S), HALLMARK (MOVIE CHANNEL ), American GoodLife TV, and on and on

17. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Yea...so much better except that it's crippled. DLB is all I have to say...football season is coming. Lack of DLB will indeed be so much better. I'll have to get 3 to be able to watch the same games w/out recording and then switching and then recording and then playing back...so much improved over the Tivo unit. Yep...:rolleyes:

18. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Can I have the drugs you are on? I'm watching HBO right now...the others are on DTV. Wow. :lol:

19. sgnhaf

Jul 30, 2007
    I think it is a hardware issue, I honestly think the HR20 is incapable of DLB .. because it is a no-brainer having it for sports.

I hope the HR21 is built to allow DLB and the 3rd live tuner be on live tv always, if recording 2 at once.

20. sgnhaf

Jul 30, 2007
    Last time I checked HBO COMEDY & HBO ZONE is nowhere on DirecTV

So what channel is Hallmark Movie Channel ? OR Nickeloden Game and Sports ? or the rest ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.