Goodbye DISH, at least for now

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dmspen, Jun 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I am moving. My new house has a lifetime concrete tile roof. I have decided I do not want a dish mounted on it. The eaves are coated/sealed and I don't want bolts stuck through them. I know there are poles I could use and such, but I have decided against it. I'm sure the HOA will be happy.

I am going to try Xfinity. They made a good deal for 2 years (locked for 1 year), TV and Internet. The house is already completely coaxed for Xfinity. If I hate it I'll go back to DISH, or maybe go streaming only. No need to decide now.

I've been with DISH for 21 years and it is difficult to let go. I was reviewing the movies and shows I have on my external HD. I think I can pretty much watch any of them via streaming if I need to.

So long DISH.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd suggest a non-penetrating roof mount (if one would work on the pitch of your roof), but it sounds like your mind is made up and you are committed to Xfinity.

Enjoy!

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I've seen NP rooftop mount with two angled parts to sit on an edge of the roof. Loaded by a few cinder blocks

4. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I did a non-pen peak mount last summer for a fellow, and he painted the patio block weights and the mount frame to match his roof color. Looked pretty good!

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have done both flat and peaked non-pen mounts. Not sure the HOA would like one on the peak. :)

6. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    HOA'S are funny. there like people upset from sitting in traffic all day :Do_O. wasn't there a poster on here in an HOA and they had there dish in the same place for years and they didn't say anything about it and then one day they made him move it:confused:o_O

7. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Yep, you're likely right!

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    HOA's are NOT the ultimate authority on dish placement / aiming. You are only obligated to follow as long as your reception is OK for your chosen provider - be that Dish, DirectTV, or OTA.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Roofs and outside walls are often "common areas" not protected by OTARD.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    It was Dart Vader !

11. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Dmspen mentioned a new house, so my impression was that there would be no common area's related to the structure. The grounds maybe. The HOA still might not like the placement of a roof mount, but whether they could make their objections stick or not might need a legal opinion.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "My new house". I got one of those in the 2000s that was built in the 1970s (and one in the 1970s that was built in the 1910s). New to you! :)

13. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Heh! Been there, done that several times, but fortunately there were no HOA's involved with any of them. ;)