1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye, Premier League "Extra Time"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmasia, Jun 28, 2017.

1. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    NBC, in an attempt to get more revenue from their Premier League football coverage, is eliminating "Extra Time", overflow matches which appeared on channels 491 - 495.

To watch those matches - NBC says there are 130 of them - you now have a buy a streaming package called "Premier League Pass".
    It is offered under the umbrella of NBC Sports Gold and will cost $50 for those 130 matches only. The package does not include any of the matches shown on NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, or USA.
    It will be available, streaming only, on all of the usual streaming platforms.

NBC SPORTS GOLD INTRODUCES “PREMIER LEAGUE PASS” WITH EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO 130 LIVE MATCHES & UNPRECEDENTED SUITE OF SHOULDER PROGRAMMING

Trying to get more money for their programming is one thing, and $50 isn't a deal killer.

But, I wonder why they did not offer cable and satellite operators the chance to sell this package to their subscribers.
    In the short term, I think they are leaving a lot of money on the table from people who have not yet embraced OTT packages and programming.

2. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    Similarly, NBC Sports has announced the Rugby Pass package for the upcoming Aviva Rugby Premiership season that starts in September. Unlike the Premier League Pass which takes away soccer matches previously available and makes them available only at an added cost, Rugby Pass makes rugby matches available that were previously unavailable.

NBC Sports Gold International

Last year NBCSN and the free NBC Sports Live streaming app allowed a US viewer to watch about half of all of the Premiership Rugby season. With Rugby Pass ($59.99) all of the 135 or so matches will be available via NBC Sports Gold.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Have they posted what matches will be shown on TV and which will be streamed?

4. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Not yet.

The Premier League, Sky and BT need to create their time slot schedule first.

The 380 matches have been scheduled, but currently, they're all listed at the traditional 3:00PM UK start time.

Later, they will establish the starting times for each week, as Sky and BT divvy up the matches they want to show in their assigned windows.
    They usually do this 3 times over the course of the season.

Sky and BT combined will televise only 168 of the 380 matches, and they are not allowed to broadcast any matches in the 3:00UK ( 10:00 Eastern ) time block.
    This is to protect the attendance of the lower football leagues, who play almost all their games at 3:00UK.

You can check here for updates on time slots.

Premier League - Scores & Fixtures - Football - BBC Sport

Almost all of the 130 Premier League Pass matches will be the 3:00UK matches not shown on NBCSN and CNBC /USA.

The exceptions will be a few matches they carry to satisfy their plan to ensure all 20 clubs appear at least 3 times.
    Clubs like Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester City rarely play at 3:00 UK time, as Sky and BT want to show their matches.

TJNash likes this.
  5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Republic of Ireland does get 3:00 PM games.

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Cmasia- Thanks for a comprehensive reply. But you forgot Tottenham....

Bronxiniowa likes this.
  7. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Joe: Sky is able to show 3:00 games in the Republic of Ireland because it is not part of the United Kingdom.

LAX: I was tempted to include my side, West Ham United, in the list, but I didn't have the nerve! :)

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, they are top of the bottom half of the table.... I am very excited for The Spurs next season... Good luck WHU!

9. Jul 8, 2017 #9 of 14
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The matches for the first 7 weeks of the new season have been assigned time slots.

2 of the first 7 feature a Friday night game.

Premier League - Scores & Fixtures - Football - BBC Sport

Just looking at the first 2 weeks, I'm guessing:
    Week 1: 7 of 10 will appear on NBC / NBCSN / CNBC and 3 will appear on Premier League Pass.
    Week 2: 6 of 10 will be "broadcast", and 4 will be "streaming only".

daniloni likes this.
  10. shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo AllStar

Jun 24, 2011
    Your excited... I'm nervous. That Wembley pitch is gonna be huge and we did not play well on it last year.. Just hoping we make some signings now..

11. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Wow, wasn't even aware of this until today when I looked at the program guide and wondered why there are no games on the 490's channels. Not surprising. This is Comcrap for you. It's no wonder they are the most hated company in the U.S. I hope they get so few subscribers that this idea fails.

12. planeluvr

planeluvr New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I liked the setup last year, but I'm not paying extra to see it.

boukengreen likes this.
  13. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I ended up buying Premier League Pass because, um, er, uh, I really don't know.

The weird thing is, from NBC's marketing standpoint, PLP will be predominantly showing matches Sky and BT in the UK had no use for - the ones that end up in the 3:00UK (10:00AM Eastern) window they are not allowed to televise in.

Add to that, NBCSN and CNBC will be showing the best 2 of those leftover 3:00UK games.

So PLP will mostly be showing the bottom of the barrel of each week's fixtures!

Their customer base then becomes idiots like me and US based fans of the sides in the bottom half of the table.

14. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Meanwhile fans of the bigger teams (ie: Chelsea, Man United) that barely will find their games on here will more than likely find other ways to watch said games. I know I'm not paying $50 so I can watch the three at minimum Chelsea games on this. I don't see this lasting and trust me fans of the lower teams have been voicing pretty loudly on NBC Sports Facebook today.