1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by naijai, Aug 15, 2011.

1. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
  2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    This could be great news for Android phone and tablet owners. Google has been struggling (IMHO) with development of Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich, and this may give them a leg up. At the same time, it could pump some life into Xoom and the Motorola Smartphones.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It will be interesting to see what Google does with the hardware, because this acquisition was probably more about patent protection, IMHO.

I'm wondering because Google probably won't be able to give Motorola Droid devices a competitive edge without upsetting Samsung, HTC, et al. Otherwise, they might drive them closer to Microsoft and the WP7 platform, because Microsoft won't compete with them on the hardware side.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I agree with most of what you said except I can definitely see Googorola becoming a bit of a skunk-works for the hardware behind Android. It's very possible that Google would then be willing to share what insights it learns with the other Android vendors, something Moto certainly wouldn't have done before (and vice-versa). Or maybe this is just what I hope happens as I've always liked Moto hardware and with a super-tight relationship with the s/w side they could produce some (even more) amazing devices!

On the MSFT / WP7 side, they've already sent a LOT of cash to Nokia to get them to go all-in with WP7 so I think other manufacturers already see them as having a bias toward Nokia. The other manufacturers are also going to see this as a positive in that it helps Google and themselves hold off patent lawsuits.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that Google will use some of the R&D facilities but keep their hands out of the company for the most part.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Microsoft has already made a bid for Nokia.

I can't fathom how folding in with Microsoft and their perennial pariah OS is going to secure a bright future for any consumer electronics company. Even the once mighty Dell is slowly departing the home computer business. Microsoft is genetically incapable of moving fast enough to compete.

8. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    This has to be one of the more surprising (to me at least) tech-company moves in the last 5 years. #1 for me would still be Nokia partnering up with Microsoft, that one still just doesn't even feel right when I type it, but if you had told me last week this was going to happen I would have questioned your state of mind. I hope it works out well for both parties, especially the Moto Mobility employees who have been gone through a lot over the past 2 years, and the consumers who hopefully get better products and drives others to continue to innovate as well.

9. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    My how things change remember when Moto was the "cool" phone to have "hello moto....." On one of the SF Bay Area radio stations they were just talking about this purchase and wondering how the two cultures will mesh together...........Google being the free spirit it is letting employees wear whatever they want, bring their families in for dinner at the on campus dinning faclities etc. Whereas Moto is a mid-west company men still wear ties etc. This may become one of the case studies students follow in business school for years to come.

10. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    It seems likely to me at some point Motorola devices are going to get preferential treatment from Android. I'll bet HTC and Samsung etc. are taking another look at their long term plans.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Especially since, at present, they're reportedly paying somewhere between a $5 to $15 Microsoft "patent tax" for every Android device sold. I'll bet Microsoft might ease up on that tax, if they started shipping more WP7 phones as well. Assuming consumers want to buy WP7 phones, of course. :)

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes...you are likely correct.

It also gives them the ability to gain many patents and do integrated testing with hardware/firmware.

The public statements and corresponding reports from the various Android manufacturers paint an entirely different picture than what a few naysayers are saying..lots of welcome and praise as a strategic and smart move.

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-sony-ericsson-and-lg-praise-googles-17k-motorola-patent-grab-15171695/

13. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Public statements being what they are, I agree with you. I also suspect, and he pretty much confirmed it, that Andy Rubin had some very, very frank discussions with the top dogs at those other Android integrators. My guess is that he said something like "We tried to buy the Nortel patents and the price was driven up by the "other" parties so we found this deal sitting here for 12.5B and we also get a hardware manufacturer we can use to help everyone's cause while bringing in a large patent portfolio we will use to help you in battles with MSFT and Apple."

Someone else mentioned that they (HTC, LG, others) may see it as clue that the "Big G" would step in with a cash infusion should they find themselves in trouble down the road.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree that in the end...this really strengthens their position vs the other platform vendor patent challenges that have surfaced in recent times.

Maybe they called it their "Band of Brothers" strategy. :D

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    He may have said that to them.... but what else could he say? It will be interesting to see what Google shareholders have to say if, in fact, Google does leave Motorola Mobility alone, and the new division doesn't aggressively market it's own hardware against the competition.

Google shareholders will point to Apple and say "Look. They market their own OS and hardware, and their current value is almost twice Google's."

Think about what a behemoth Google could be if it was as financially successful with Moto/Android as Apple is with iDevice/iOS, added to the huge amount of money Google already makes from search advertising. Could be a $500 billion company. :eek2:

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Dave Zatz has brought up some interesting questions on his blog. It looks like part of the purchase includes Motorola's set top business, so could this be Google really getting a foothold in the TV market? Only time will really tell but if Google can work their Google TV into the boxes it could be a much bigger purcahse than just the phone business.

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. With TV, phone and tablet, it's a trifecta for them. They also make cable and DSL modems and routers.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the original news release when Motorola spun off Motorola Mobility:
    That is what Google just bought.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Interesting speculation from John McCarthy, a VP and Principal Analyst at Forrester. He wonders if this acquisition would spur Microsoft to acquire Nokia!