1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google TV integration with DirecTV HR2x boxes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Milkman, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1 of 78
    Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Hey all:

I did a search on this topic, and the latest information that I was able to find was from the end of last year.

I was wondering if the integration between the Logitech Revue (running Google TV) and D* HR2x boxes has improved?? According to what I see, the Dish receiver had a much better integration at release.

2. Aug 1, 2011 #2 of 78
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Knowing what I know .. I seriously doubt there will be a close integration between Google TV and DIRECTV. Of course, things could change as they often do and I haven't been told anything specific. This is a hunch on my part.

3. Aug 1, 2011 #3 of 78
    Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I *THINK* (not completely positive) that some of the functionality that Google TV uses to integrate with Dish is available with D* in some capacity, based on what I have seen with soft remotes.

In the sample video that I saw, the presenter did a search for "Top Gear", and it came up with results from Youtube, the internet, and "DVR Recordings". They were able to play the DVR recording from the Google TV interface if they went to "DVR Recordings".

Basically the Google TV box acts as a pass-thru device for video/audio and has IR blasters, so it can control the receiver. The missing gap at release was the ability to do stuff like what I mentioned above.

That would be disappointing if D* didn't work with Google, but I wouldn't be completely surprised.

4. Aug 1, 2011 #4 of 78
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The SHEF protocols needed to get DVR information is missing. I'm not sure how Google TV could even obtain the content from your DVR to provide a search capability within it.

All of the other elements are available via an Internet link (searching guide information, etc.) but it's external to the DIRECTV box, not integrated. The Google TV box can use SHEF for remote control functionality, and I don't see that aspect changing.

5. Aug 1, 2011 #5 of 78
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome back Dud

6. Aug 1, 2011 #6 of 78
    meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Too bad something can't be done to export your information periodically on a PC with DirecTV2PC for the Revue to index.

I don't use the search all that much on my Revue anyways, I'm more of a browser.

7. Aug 1, 2011 #7 of 78
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The integration is made available by the provider, not Google. Since DISH Network beat them to it, I'm guessing it has a very low priority.

I'm thinking there may be greater functionality through an Android app down the road but not to the level of the DISH integration.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #8 of 78
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Why insert a third machine? I can't imagine why Google TV couldn't use SHEF if it were made available.

9. Aug 1, 2011 #9 of 78
    betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Just got a Revue last night and no it won't search your dvr recordings but no big deal to me. I just hit the dvr button on it and it shows me the shows I have recorded.

If I search for a show and it finds it then tells me when it is on at a future date it would be nice if it let you record it straight from there. Instead it tells you that you must have a dvr to record the show and then gives you the option to either tune to that channel now (why? if the show is on next week why do I want to tune to the channel now?) or go to the guide where you have to manually search for the show and record it. Would be nice if it took you straight to the show in the guide but oh well.

Other than that I am really liking the Revue.

10. meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Because I am guessing that requires DirecTV to do something with their boxes, if there was a workaround in the meantime that'd be nice, that's all :)

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Considering the current decline of Google TV (including the news that returns are exceeding sales), I wouldn't put much hope into its integration.

12. meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    That's the decline of an overpriced product (the Logitech Revue), not of GoogleTV... some of the articles about it have been rather heavy handed in connecting the two.

With a large OS revision coming and multiple hardware partners ready to release new hardware once that is out, the platform isn't going anywhere.

Either way, this kind of integration shouldn't be a one-off thing, it really should become the standard and allow other apps and appliances put it to use IMO.

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I have to wonder if keeping it in house wouldn't be a more profitable position for the MSOs (DISH, DIRECTV, Comcast, etc.). Remember, it would cost the MSO to provide the integration, and then they would be giving it away for free to a third party who would make any additional revenue. If it can't be monetized in some way, then it's simply not attractive to the MSO.

14. meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    I think you could make a case for better retention/lower churn the more a service is integrated into the lifestyle of a family. Certainly value could be derived without directly monetizing it.

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I do consider "value" as a way of monetizing it. I just think the method that MSOs are preferring at the moment is in-house to provide their own way version of value.

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    If one were to spend a minute researching one would know that they are referring to returns by distributers not end users.
    I don't consider $99.00 overpriced.

17. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Being $99 is what made me jump on it. Well really about $80 something with tax since I used a $20 Best Buy Reward Zone certificate.

Me and the wife are loving it so far.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Personally I consider this a non-issue. I just don't see the GoogleTV product lasting much longer.

19. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I think that will depend on if they come through with that major update by the end of summer as "promised". If Google TV can finally live up to it's potential, I see no reason why it can not survive.

20. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    That's an odd statement, with an announcement less than 2 months ago that Google is rolling out an update, more features, and more devices are coming from more manufacturers. Also, adding Samsung and Vizio as partners means more Google TV integrated displays.

Increased rollouts mean more use, similar to Netflix streaming becoming much more widespread when TVs and Blu-ray players with it built in became more prevalent.

Useful to you or not, I don't see it going away.