Google TV - sharing the wealth a sticking point

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by phrelin, Dec 18, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Google, with its annual revenue of around $28 billion, has discovered that News Corp with an annual revenue of around $33 billion and CBS with an annual revenue of around $14 billion aren't just sitting there waiting for the opportunity to increase Google's revenue a their expense. From Bloomberg:
    Google isn't dealing with a YouTube when negotiating with New Corp, CBS, NBCU and Disney. Should be interesting to see what it might ultimately cost for a subscription to Google TV.

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    When I first looked at a Google TV capable set, the fear that the service would eventually become a subscription service is what kept me from purchasing one. I'm not prepared to pay out another $20 or $30 a month in order to watch the major networks on Google TV.

3. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    It won't be a subscription service. That would be admitting defeat. Google will let it die before they resort to that.

What I can see happening is when the apps start flowing for GTV, someone will figure a way around the blocking and it will become whack-a-mole for the networks trying to stop it.

The thing the networks need to realize is it's not just GTV. There's Boxee and many more to come in the future. The networks need to stop fighting this and start embracing it.

4. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I suspect that the networks (and other program sources) are already working on apps for Google TV that will display their programs - without any options to skip commercials, of course.

-- Roger

5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I've seen the Logitech Revue in action and I don't see the point of the networks. We searched for a show, it was on Hulu, we clicked on it and watched it on the TV. There wasn't a Google ad anywhere. The entire experience was delivered by the Hulu website. I'm not sure how this is any different than clicking AirStream on my Mac and watching via my Apple TV.

My experience with it was weeks ago before Hulu stopped the user agent work around, but this is being blown out of proportion by the content owners. It is aired for free. It is available for a short while for free online. I can watch it via my Apple TV. I can't watch it via my Google TV. Stupid.