1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by doabbs, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1 of 17
    doabbs

doabbs Cool Member

Oct 18, 2009
  2. Oct 6, 2010 #2 of 17
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. Oct 6, 2010 #3 of 17
    doabbs

doabbs Cool Member

Oct 18, 2009
    What I mean is you use the Google TV and if you search for a show and select it, it will record to your DVR.

4. Oct 6, 2010 #4 of 17
    chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
  5. Oct 6, 2010 #5 of 17
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd stay tuned, I bet it won't be Dish-only forever

6. Oct 6, 2010 #6 of 17
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I wonder if we DTV'ers can attach an external hard drive to the Revue instead?

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 17
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm not so sure. Unlike Dish, DTV and GoogleTv are competitors. It seems both are heavily focused on selling us content.

8. Oct 6, 2010 #8 of 17
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How's Google TV competition to Directv? :confused:

9. Oct 6, 2010 #9 of 17
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    There's a few new movies coming out this week, from where might folks be buying/renting/viewing them? Have you noticed all the new channels and OnDemand of DTV Cinema? If I Google those movies on a Logitech Revue, I'll see many cheaper options.

10. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Google isn't in the content business. Think of Google TV kind of a mix between a Tivo and an AppleTV. I don't really see DirecTV and Google competing here, other than the Google TV gives you yet another option for Netflix Instant Streaming

Simple answer: no.

You can connect an external hard drive to a Revue, but only for reading media, and only in standard formats. You won't be able to connect a hard drive with DirecTV DVR recorded content and view it, and the Revue has no recording functionality at all

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maximum 40 (forty!) GIG! Do they even make drives that small?

Doesn't seem to do MKV's either.

12. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Competitors isn't the right words, you're right. But a DTV owner who has a revue is less likely to buy a $5-$6 PPV experience than one who doesn't. That's what I was trying to convey.

And the lack of ability to record/save is bad news to me, and does kind of makes me jealous of Dish folks. I'm glad my BD player can play every file I through at it, through its USB port.

13. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It can't record and save for Dish folks either, it simply has tighter integration with the Dish DVRs. It will still be able to control the DirecTV DVR, but it won't be able to get the playlist for a search, for example.

However, there are some things DirecTV is working on that will open DirecTV receivers to Google TV, so I don't think this is a permanent situation.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There seem to be a number of problems with GoogleTV...to the point where they are backtracking a bit on the rollout (to address those problems).

This was posted at MediaBiz's Morning Bridge just hours ago:

15. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Yes, it isn't quite ready for prime time.

The Logitech Revue hardware I bought is really nice. It looks good and feels well built. The giant keyboard remote is easy to use, easy to hold, and works well. The picture quality is excellent, and the electronics seem to be fast enough to handle what it's trying to do. It's super easy to install and set up and it has no problem controlling my Dish DVR and Sony stereo receiver.

But, Google's software doesn't do much yet. It's like WebTV with a few apps. Of course, it's a "WebTV" with a much better browser and you can actually read what's on the screen. So, from that standpoint, it's nice.

The "integration" part, however, is (mostly) missing. Right now, Google TV is pretty much just a collection of apps. You can so a search and get results based on what's on TV right now, what you have on a DLNA server, and what's on your DVR (Dish-only right now). But, that's really the extent of the integration.

I wanted something that would be like my DVR, but instead of listing just the programs in my guide and recorded on the DVR's hard drive, it would list things available fron Netflix, Hulu, and other services to which I subscribe. Basically, integrated the net services as if they were just another "channel" on the satellite.

I think that's what Google plans to do. But, the software isn't doing that yet. Plus, without access to the Android Market, you're limited to just a handful of apps.

So, I think it's obvious that Google released it before it was ready. But, it does have a lot of promise.

As far as closer integration with DirecTV DVRs, I'm sure that's coming, sooner rather than later. It'll come either through "official" support ... or someone will write an app for that. :)

BTW, the Logitech Revue now supports NTSF drives up to 2TB in size and it plays MKV files.

-- Roger

16. mrski57

mrski57 Mentor

Dec 16, 2008
    who is better?

17. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    They have different functionality. I don't think you can surf the web on a browser with AppleTV, and you can with Revue. That feature is important to me.