Got a call this evening.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mrro82, Mar 10, 2015.

1. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    So I got a call from DirecTV. They're giving me the sports pack for free. Effectively bumping me up to the premier package. With no expiration.

Also, they're giving me a $. 99 credit every month I have it. I just have to keep it for 30 days. If I get rid of it before then, I have to pay an early cancelation fee of $10. I also get it for free as long as I keep my current programming. If I change something, it goes bye bye.

I'll keep it for the 30 days but unless I can keep my credits rolling on the movie channels I won't keep it.

Anyone else receive this call tonight or have in the past?

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Been with Directv almost from their beginning and have never received a phone call from them.

1 person likes this.
  3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Ihave not received the call but I also dont have any premiums. It sounds like they are doing what thye can to keep people from cutting their programming by dropping premiums or switching to a lower base package.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Weird.. I've been with D* since the 1990s and also have never received a call from them offering anything.

1 person likes this.
  5. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Not me.

I should be offered this.

I have the Choice Extra Classic (whatever it's exactly called) that is grandfathered. It includes NHL Network and PBS Kids Sprout but not Cloo. I have all the premium movies (though discounted). I have the HD Extra Pack (not discounted or free).

(Maybe I'm wrong.)

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This sounds like a scam that some resellers have done in the past. They upgrade the subscriber through reseller channels and received their SPIF but the pricing jumped as well.

I'd check with DIRECTV and see if they can explain how this upgrade came about and whether it is ultimately free as you were promised.

Hopefully it is legitimate.

1 person likes this.
  7. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    I called. It was a scam. The csr said no one called from DirecTV even though my caller ID said it was. There was no such offer in their system. She verified nothing was added and that was it. I have a pass code on my account which the scam call never asked for. Weird stuff. Glad I posted on here about it. I never thought it would be a scam.

8. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    Third party vender with falsified CID?

9. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    I'm not sure. The CSR didn't say. Just that it didn't come from DirecTV.

10. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    It's possible that it was an outbound group/ 3rd party vendor. CSR's wouldn't have information to any marketing promotion and a 3rd party vendor wouldn't be able to leave notes as such. i presume that any information might be transmitted electronically at the end of day cycle. But then again...

11. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Just hope they did not ask for a lot of personal information. For it to be a real scam, they would have to have enough information to get some money out of you. Did they act like they knew the exact programming package you had? I would keep a close look at your banking and credit card activity for a while.

12. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    They didn't ask me anything. They knew what package I had because she said adding the sports pack would effectively upgrade me to the premier package.

13. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    Update: I checked my recent activity and saw where my package had changed even though I called yesterday to undo it. So I called again and it wasn't a scam after all. It was a legit offer and I am getting it for free. I guess the CSR I talked to yesterday assumed it was a scam because she couldn't find that offer in their system. I kinda figured it wasn't a scam as they didn't ask for anything about my account at all.