1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a new receiver, what about the old one?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1 of 19
    MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    My HR21 I had for three years finally died on me. The hard drive is what went out. I called DirecTV and had a new one shipped to me. It came quickly. It is a HR22. They never said anything about sending the old one back. My question is do they want it back or can I keep it and put a new hard drive in it?

2. Jul 8, 2011 #2 of 19
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When you activate the new one and deactivate the old one a return kit will be sent to you.

3. Jul 8, 2011 #3 of 19
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Assuming the hr22 was a replacement for the dead receiver they will want the hr21 back. You should have gotten a return label in the box with the HR22. Generally, you'd put the hr21 in the box the hr22 came in, stick the return label on it and drop it off at ups. If you aren't sure and didn't get a label call and ask. Failure to return a receiver they expect back ends up with you getting charged a large chunk of change. Around 600$ I believe but I'm not sure.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #4 of 19
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......I replaced my HR22-100 recently. Was given seven days of receipt of replacement receiver to return defective receiver to avoid a charge of up to $250.00.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #5 of 19
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    And, as we always recommend, keep copies of all paperwork involved in the return of the receiver (waybills, etc.) so you can prove you did return it if necessary...and it often is. ;)

6. Jul 8, 2011 #6 of 19
    MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    When I swapped a SD receiver for a HD receiver for the other TV, they said they'd send another box to send the old back to them. I never got it. I still have it and was never billed for it.

I looked through the box the new one came in and there is nothing in about returning the old one or any kind of shipping label.

7. Jul 8, 2011 #7 of 19
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Depending on the age of the replaced receiver they often do not want them back.

8. Jul 8, 2011 #8 of 19
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    they WILL want an HR21 back, call them. seriously.

9. Jul 8, 2011 #9 of 19
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    If so (not wanting it back) they should AFFIRMATIVELY SAY SO in writing.

Leaving customers on the hook wondering if DirecTV wants it back and if they are going to be on the hook for a fee ($$) for failure to rutern the unit it is no way to treat people or conduct business.

10. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    I deactivated an HR22 that I bought at Best Buy (although likely considered leased based on the date of purchase) last month. They said they would send a return kit, but have not. In spite of my decision not to replace the DVR, I got an email to the effect that:

Subject:Confirmation of DIRECTV Equipment Replacement

Dear Valued Customer,

Your replacement receiver order has been processed. You will receive additional notification once your item has been shipped, along with a tracking number for your shipment.

As you prepare for the arrival of your shipment, know that this replacement receiver will allow us to fulfill our goal of restoring your DIRECTV service as quickly as possible.

Before your replacement receiver arrives, here are some helpful reminders:

• Do not return your cables, as you will need them for your replacement receiver.

• You should be able to use your current white DIRECTV remote with your new receiver, and it's already programmed to your television.

• Swap your old receiver with the new one and reconnect the cables in the same way, connecting the power last.
    See your owner's manual for instructions.

1. Once you reach the screen that starts with "To complete your
    service activation..." call the number shown on the screen.

2. Make sure you have the following information available: Receiver
    ID#__________ Model __________ Access Card# __________

(These instructions will also be located inside your replacement receiver shipping box)

I have not gotten any further correspondence, nor has any return kit been sent even though this email is dated June 9 which was the date I deactivated the DVR.

My assumption is that directv isn't interested in getting a HR22 back.

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    FWIW, I had a receiver replaced a few years into my contract. They never asked for the old one back or sent a return kit, in spite of my inquiries about it. It sat in my closet for 3 years until I cancelled my service. Upon cancelling my service I got a bill for $450 for failing to return that receiver even though it was deactivated years ago and they never asked for it or even allowed me to send it back. So it's definitely worth pressing the issue, even if all indications are they've forgotten about it. They never forget.

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008

push the issue, I am dead serious. you will not like the end result if you do not.

13. TiredTeck

TiredTeck Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Arizona
    My "new" HR22 came with an envelope to return the old access card which I did right away.

It took Three weeks for them to send a box to request the old unit be sent back.

There was nothing included with the new HR22 that said anything about returning the old one.

14. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I recently turned off a H21 (no R) and all they wanted back were the cards.

15. nydennis

nydennis Cool Member

Apr 18, 2008
    When I upgraded from a non HD DVR receiver to a DVR HD they said they would send me a box to return the other one. 6 months later I still did not get it. When I called to get the free year of showtime a few weeks ago, I inquired about it.

I was told that in the computer it stated they did not want it back and I could chuck it out if I wanted.

16. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    Returned a replaced HR with the box it was shipped in using the enclosed shipping label. The tracking numbers etc on the label are NOT usable by the post office to track. D* would not advise me if the got it. If you return via Post Office, pay for tracking to cover yourself. I returned a box once. They never got it and charged me. Fortunatly I had tracking and proved that they lied to me. Not only did they remove the charge but credited my account an additional $360. I guess they felt guilty. Funny thing was I didn't ask for it.

17. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    It is kind of pathetic they CHOOSE NOT TO manage this side of the business (managing equipment returns and/or releasing customers in writing from the need to) more competently. I say "choose not to" because its not like they couldn't easily set up a robust system to do it well.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Watching that boss working in secret show, you can see DirecTV seems to lack a return inventory program that they all strictly follow. Nor did the boss notice the lack a of one. So I guess, they're still doing returns in a haphazard way.

19. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I bet this side of their business would be ripe for honing by someone with solid logistics expertise.