1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a retentions "Deal" but DirecTV didn't quite follow-through

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dyker, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Customer since 1996. Way out of contract. I tried to cancel on Tuesday. I had Total Choice, DVR, and HD and my bill is around $80 I think. Full intentions of canceling but the retentions CSR asked what it would take to keep me so I threw out "oh, same services for around $40/month". So he offered to move me to regular "Choice" and since I'm on autopay give me free HD and a $10 credit... anyway he got me to about $42 or so for 6 months or a year. I really wanted to just cancel and had every intention to. But he talked me into keeping D* with the deal.

So last night we tried watching History channel and it was blocked. So was about everything. I called and was told we were moved to "Select" (whatever that is). So I figured "Fine I'll just cancel now". The retentions person said she'd look over the notes and said "Yeah, you were offered Choice but we cannot give it to you so we moved you to Select instead." What a waste of my time. So I politely said "no problem just cancel the account." Got the whole 9th degree again with offers of "Total choice for $60, Choice for $55, etc etc etc." I politely held firm. JUST CANCEL ME! She came back one more time. How about if we give you $180 one time credit and move you back to Select. You can watch TV free for a few months.

I said "Fine". After a few months of free D* I'll try to cancel again. Hope they didn't extend the contract. I no longer see the FREE HD credit on the account which this CSR promised would stay there. I just don't get how they screw all this stuff up, promise A, deliver Z, and one retentions CSR has completely different offers than another (who may or may not follow through).

2. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Congratulations. I could be wrong, and you may be able to watch TV for free for a few months, but the 2-year commitment period clock has just started...

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You are wrong. The customer agreement specifies that commitments are based on activating leased hardware. No new hardware, no new commitment.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Only on additional equipment or upgrade equipment. Didn't see where the OP got either so there would be no new 2 year commitment.

6. dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Just called them and they did not extend my contract. They also said I could switch back to Total Choice Plus if I wanted (30 day window to switch back). Also, they gave me Free HD for 2 years. I did ask about the whole house DVR but she told me that would extend my contract because they deliver equipment for it (even tho it worked fine for me during the beta on my own hardware). I wanted whole house to make it easier to watch stuff on both DVRs before (if) I quit in a few months.

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    If it worked for you during beta just tell them that and tell them you do not need any additional equipment or a tech visit. They will simply turn on the service for you, add $3 to your monthly bill, and it should work as it did during the beta.

8. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    Nope i can upgrade my Receiver to HD no 2yr Commitment which is stated on my account.

9. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    YOU MIGHT be able to but that is not standard policy and does not apply in this specific situation.

10. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    That's what i thought to so i asked that question and she said no because its a "MPG SWAP"

11. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    According to this:

So even though the CSR promised it would stay, according to the above as long as you keep the Select Package you will be charged the extra $10 HD Access Fee.

12. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Adding whole house DVR does not extend your contract. They charge you for the equipment and you own it. The only way I could see them extending your contract is if you get them to give it to you for free.

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If they have to switch out any receivers or DVRs for ones that are SWM compatible, those would be leased. There would likely be a commitment with that equipment.

14. dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    We just have two HR23 and when I had them connected to the router during the beta the Whole house DVR was great. Both are out of contract. Our plan is now "Select". I looked but didn't see online any way to "turn on" whole house for $3/month. Is it call-in only?

15. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    As far as I know, yes, call in only.

16. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    If you want to turn on Whole Home DVR using the non standard check the sticky in connected home forum. The
    sticky gives specific instructions onhow to get the service turned on.