Got my GENIE!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDTVFreak07, Jan 20, 2014.

1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    It's kind of cool. Now I'm able to use RVU client that my Samsung SmartTV has available. It's kind of neat except that the picture appears to be darker and no DirecTV subtitle option (just closed captioning). Is it normal for pictures and guides to appear darker? Well, anyway, I love it. It replaced my ever so faithful HR20. I still have the two HR24's and love it. By the way, does the Genie also improve pictures? My friend thought the TV looks brighter. I can't really tell.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You might just need to adjust your TV's video settings when it's in "RVU mode".

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you were to have an SD receiver before, then yes... :hurah:

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't know about the RVU client on your set but Samsung hasn't included a few things in the client that a DIRECTV mini client provides, like as you noticed DIRECTV captions. My set also doesn't allow for the "Screen Fit" aspect ratio, best it will do is 16:9, plus if you want to use the internet apps like Pandora you have to use the Samsung apps which means exiting the RVU client.

I also recommend that you get a DIRECTV RC71 remote to use with the set, I find it much easier to use for DVR functions then the Samsung standard remote.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I found the RC71 remote on Amazon for around five bucks, just the other day. It should be here tomorrow. That's a great price, and having Prime, no shipping.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    a replacement is just a few steps away for me.... :p

7. Timshow

Timshow New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    just a question on the install....did you have a swm 16 unit installed and do you have any clients other than the RVU enabled TV?

8. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Already had SWM-16 installed. As for any clients other than RVU enabled TV, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In this house, I've got two HR24's, H25 and a new Genie. Of course, a Samsung RVU enabled TV.

9. Timshow

Timshow New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Thanks HDTVFreak07. I just was trying to figure out my next move. I currently have 2 HR24's and 2 H24's but want to move to 1 genie and 2 wireless clients, but I want to also keep my 2 HR24's. I would then need to install a swm16, but I am hold off until the weather gets better up here in Pennsylvania. I don't feel like running 2 more lines into my house in this weather.