Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo DMA - New HD channel, WOTV 41

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bonscott87, Nov 21, 2008.

1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I have no idea how long it's been added since I don't watch anything on ABC but someone on AVS noticed it and sure enough it's confirmed.

ABC - WOTV 41 has been added in HD to our HD locals.

NOTE: We have 2 ABC stations in our market, the other is WZZM 13 which was in HD at launch a couple years ago.

2. carpetman

carpetman AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Sure looks like it's on, shows HD listings.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Think it popped up a week or two ago.. I've always had it OTA so I didn't pay much attention..

4. millertime

millertime Godfather

Sep 2, 2007
    It's been on for well over a month now. WXSP also looks better for some reason.

5. millertime

millertime Godfather

Sep 2, 2007
    Sure wish they would give us our distant locals now that South Bend has been added in HD. We would be all set if they do this!

6. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    I never understood that one. How can a normal sized market have 2 of the same network affiliate? I know WZZM covers the north and WOTV covers the south, sure, but it still doesn't make any sense, especially for satellite carriage.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Our market is very large actually, about 150 miles north to south. Way back in the 60's or whatnot I believe channel 13 was first but their tower was actually north of Grand Rapids so the south half of the market couldn't get ABC. Then channel 41 came about to cover the south part of the market.

Obviously in today's world with most people having cable or telco or sat it doesn't make as much sense. Except in the recent OTA HD world. I live in the mid south part of the market and channel 13 is too far away, I can't pick it up. But I can pick up 41 just fine along with the rest of the networks. So without 41 still being around I wouldn't have been able to get ABC HD via OTA all these years long before it was ever on cable or satellite.