1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gray Screen SNL and ER

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NOLANSKI, Oct 17, 2008.

1. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    I recorded SNL Thursday and ER last night but when I play them I get gray screen all the way through.
    I also recorded CSI last night and it's fine.....bad tuner?

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Have you tried rebooting?

3. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    Affirmative did a menu reset. No Joy.

4. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.... I doubt that it's a bad tuner... To verify, try making two recordings right now and then check both of them...

You may also want to submit some data in this thread... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=127196

5. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    What's funny is the time bar functions as something is playing...I guess I'll try a RBR too....WIFE MUST HAVE ER!

6. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Unfortunately, nothing you can do now will make the episodes come back. There is only blankness in the file you are trying to play.

7. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Don't worry about it. You didn't miss anything ..... both shows were bad.

:D

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    In my experiences, this has happened when there is a signal problem. In my case, it wasn’t a dish problem, but a slightly loose connection at the multiswitch that was very intermittent in its failure.

9. skeptic555

skeptic555 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    I had this same issue for SNL on thursday. But, I started watching around 10 minutes in.... and LIVE it was fine, trying to watch the timeshifted recording, black screen.

So, the transmission/signal was no problem. Just wasnt recording.

Adding to mystery, OTHER channel recording at the same time was just fine.

For SNL, and I assume ER as well, just hit up nbc.com (or Hulu.com should have SNL up sooner or later).

10. pmtm2

pmtm2 AllStar

Oct 13, 2008
    My ABC has been doing the same thing. You change the channel and it goes gray like it always does but then the programing does not start it stays gray. I have to wait about 15sec then rewind the DVR and then the channel starts to show up it is very weird.

11. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    Not my issue...I have the most basic simple setup.

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    So your receiver is directly connected to the dish with no multiswitch? It still could be a loose connection somewhere in the chain. Even a single strand of the braided ground insulator of the coax cable could be “almost” contacting a center conductor inside a compression connector. If you have the ability to double check all connections, including in-wall boxes and faceplates, I’d do that first.

13. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    This is the exact issue that is most prevalent in the black/blank/grey recording thread mentioned earlier.

It's not a tuner issue if you can watch them live. Two recordings at the same time one is grey and the other is fine. if you watch the blank one live it is fine.

You shoudl submit this to the main blank recordings thread - they've been collecting data for about 6 months and there is some indications that the next NR might solve some of these issues -- which would be great since this happens to me far too often.

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yeah the progress bar comes up on these blank recordings.

I sometimes wonder if the firmware displays it based on how long the recording is supposed to be and not acutally what's there. :rolleyes:

Mike

15. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    Just as an aside, you can watch both SNL and ER on Hulu, so hopefully you can keep the wife happy while you work this out.

16. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002

Just stop.

This is a known problem that DirecTV has been working on. Checking the connections will not hurt anything, but it seemes pretty unlikely that it will fix anything, unless most or all the recordings fail. If it is just an occaisional one, it seems like it is whatever problem that DirecTV has acknowleged and is working on in teh software of the box.

17. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Just stop????

So what are you telling the OP? Bend over? He has a problem and telling him that D* knows about it, does not help. In fact, that would make me angry.

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The only reason I offer this advice is because it was a loose connection that was causing problems for me. I had the occasional blank/gray recording, but it wasn’t enough to sorry about. One day, I happened to be watching live TV while a tuner in the background was recording on another channel. A 2nd scheduled recording kicked-off and the “live” tuner changed to that channel, but guess what I saw? I big gray screen! And guess what else? The receiver was acting so sluggish, it seemed like it was locked-up. I did an RBR and when it rebooted, it came up with problems searching for the satellite signal. I started checking my wiring, and I found a loose crimp connector where the feed to tuner #2 attached to the multiswitch.

While I agree that an intermittent signal problem shouldn’t cause a gray screen (it should be a 771 error if anything) and I also agree that it shouldn’t cause a lock-up, the bottom line is that it can and does. I hope that someday D* comes out with a solution which will keep the box from locking-up when a signal drops and would give the user an error message on a gray screen recording, but until then, the solution is not to “stop”, but to eliminate all other possible problems. Since I fixed that connection, I’ve had no problems. YMMV.

19. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002

No, I am telling (begging?) all the naysayers to stop pestering people with problems that are not their issue and trying to relate every single thing to their install, when the issues have been documented by DirecTV and the HR2x team is working on fixing them. It is a wonder that anyone has the courage to post with an issue since people are so quick to blame them.

20. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Lee, I don't think anyone was blaming anyone. I have had my share of issues and I am quick to post here. Sometimes connections just get loose or a kid or someone else screws with it.

At the end of the day, I doubt the OP cares whose fault it is, he just wants his TV. :D