Great article comparing all the streaming options for cord cutters and folks thinking about it

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 #1 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The article:

Best live TV streaming services for cord cutters

My thoughts:

What are cord cutters cheering about? This is an article FOR cord cutters and it makes all the services sound over priced and poor quality with loads of limitations.

For comparison, I have an HR54 + Preferred Xtra and pay $52/mo which will go up to $72/mo next month.

YouTube: $50 (same price as I'm paying now), missing History, forced to watch commercials if you don't watch your shows fast enough

Sling: Also close in price to what I pay now, missing locals, USA, only allows 1 stream, can't record certain shows. The review says the UI sucks

DirecTV Now: more money then what I pay now, missing Discovery, HGTV, History

PlayStation: also more money then what I pay now, missing History, MTV

Hulu: close in price, missing MTV, can't skip commercials in the $45 package, UI sucks

All of the services have a low max stream count unless you go Hulu and pay $15 for the unlimited.

Summary: All these limitations and gotchas… don't see why people are bragging about going from $200/mo on DirecTV to $70/mo or less on streaming. You aren't getting the same channels, same features or the same number of TVs and you're picking up a bunch of limitations.

Also, for sports fans and live channels, those are delayed by up to a minute. Imagine trading stock listening to a 1 minute delayed CNBC these days. You might as well just set fire to your money lol.

Also, in a lot of cases you lose 5.1 sound.

Apples and apples people :D.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending DirecTV either. Service is way overpriced unless you are playing the promo game. But streaming isn't much better once you get down to it and in many cases, worse.

2. Aug 11, 2019 #2 of 133
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The industry is in transition. Right now, I'm taking the 'stay with D* satellite until there's a reason not to' position. In about 12 months, I'll look at available streaming options for the channels that we want. There should be lower prices for packages available, given that in the future a company like D* won't be supporting a lot of equipment at end users' homes, and they won't be rolling trucks for installation. It will be even more of a dog eat dog environment, so I'll look at AT&T TV plus other offerings in about a year from now.

3. Aug 11, 2019 #3 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    It's really not. The streaming companies are trying to steal market share from traditional, so they are offering these super low prices. Not sure if you follow the stock market, but this past quarter has shown that Disney and Netflix are both "in trouble".

Netflix is losing all their licensed content and debt is rising. Disney is currently bleeding tons of cash standing up Disney+.

All the streaming companies are bleeding money. The current low prices aren't sustainable long term. They'll have to go up. Some of the services are already the same price or even more then DirecTV.

DirecTV still needs to roll trucks for dish installs in the majority of cases. While I technically could install my own dish, I'm not climbing up 20 to 30 ft on a ladder to do it. The inside stuff I can maintain myself.

That being said, DirecTV is also in trouble, losing subs. Point is, streaming isn't all its cracked up to be. At least not yet.

4. Aug 11, 2019 #4 of 133
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I got recommended in another thread the site The Streamable which has a online interface for adding in the channels/programs you really want, then figuring out which online service meets your needs. There is also JustWatch which points you to which streaming service carries the program you like. How many channels are you really watching on a regular basis? At least you can try out a channel package for up to a 7 day trial period.

AT&T/DirecTV and Dish are both passing along the increased carriage costs from the program providers who agree upon which tier of service the channel is carried. As I have pointed out time and time again, E$PN and the Regional $ports Networks are the most expensive channels in the non-premium tier on a per-subscriber basis.

Personally, when I moved to Texas, I thought I had left the DirecTV behind. I thought I could get by with Amazon Prime (paid annually), Netflix, Criterion Channel (paid annually), and Hulu (1 year promo subscription ending in November). I got my mother a 50" TCL Roku TV just to make things easier and installed those channels on there, along with some free steaming services such as PlutoTV. Two of the three TVs in my home have an antenna run to them. (My home office doesn't have an antenna). I even have a Plex Media server, and a good collection of both BluRays and DVDs. But, no, my mother has to have her precious Hallmark channel, and even threatened to get DirecTV reconnected. At least she is paying for the DirecTV Now service.

It's all about the content. I'm operating under the assumption that most folks don't want to subscribe to 2-3 streaming services at a time. From my viewpoint, the Disney+ package is going to be a killer package for families, and is going to shake up the industry. But, also, some of the titles that are carried by Netflix will soon be on proprietary services.

Sigh.... I know that there are some Trekkers (myself included) who are balking at the CBS All-Access package. Now, the Orville is headed from broadcast television to Hulu. This is just painful for the wallet.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. Aug 11, 2019 #5 of 133
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Interesting that "several" the streaming services don't have channels like A&E, HGTV, etc. Would be a non-starter for my family

SledgeHammer likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2019 #6 of 133
    bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Not having the bandwidth to stream 4K (even HD streams can occasionally be problematic), I need the video pipe satellite provides, and DTV has a very good picture, also a little free 4K. Still we do stream HD Netflix and Prime regularly, and enjoy the extra content. I suppose if other streaming services were competitive and gave us the networks we want, I could take the DTV money and spend it on HughesNet or the like, and just use it for video streaming, hopefully including 4K. We could keep our Fixed Wireless ISP for its low latency and additional bandwidth on the home network. I’d have to buy a DVR too for OTA, TiVo I suppose. Anyone streaming 4K over a satellite ISP like HughesNet?

Edit: Post 200! Only took 13 years ... so chatty!

7. Aug 11, 2019 #7 of 133
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Can you please explain / expand if you don't watch shows fast enough forced to watch commercials.

8. Aug 11, 2019 #8 of 133
    Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    Yes, but how much are you paying in fees? That's where the real difference lies between streaming & cable/satellite. Most people I know that still have traditional Pay TV can assume the fees are a little less that half of what the programming package itself costs. DirecTV seems to have about 3 fees alone to cover the boxes, HD, and to actually access it on a TV. With streaming $50 actually means your bill is $50 (plus tax).

I'm finding I have less & less patience for these commercial infested channels full of cheap garbage programming that make up these live TV bundles. I have a grandfathered DirecTV Now package simply because it's cheap & I can get HBO for $5. If it goes up one penny, I could easily do without.

What I could not do without are these commercial free services churning out great programming, often in 4k. I have no problem subscribing to as many services as needed to catch content that compels me. I could never go back to surfing through marathons of My 600 lb life & commercial riddled movies for $200/mo.

9. Aug 11, 2019 #9 of 133
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    As I mentioned in my other thread, now paying $70 monthly instead of $200 for basically the same channels plus a few bonus channels not on Directv. Could not be more satisfied with my decision saving me $1500+ yearly. My #1 criteria for any service has always been picture quality especially with the large TV’s we have today. I have a 65”, 75” and a 102” projector. PQ on the streaming services is far superior than what Directv provides with their dumbed down resolution. Getting better quality for less than half the cost. A no brainer for me.

Rich likes this.
  10. Aug 11, 2019 #10 of 133
    glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    "Technological inertia" is a real thing, especially for us older folks who have had a product for awhile. I have had DirecTV since 1994, and have had their top package for most of that time. For me, DirecTV just works. I do have a Roku stick on most of my TV's and do use streaming services like Netflix, but they supplement DirecTV. I know I am a dying breed, but unless there is some really compelling reason to switch, I'll stay with them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a DirecTV fanboy, certainly there are issues: the price increases are getting ridiculous, the latest and greatest DVR can't get local channels OTA (yet anyway), but there is no magic bullet out there for me. At least, not yet.

SledgeHammer and bmcleod like this.
  11. Aug 11, 2019 #11 of 133
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Disney+ is going to be a big draw for families.

12. Aug 11, 2019 #12 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The article says YouTube swaps in VOD versions for recorded shows once they become available and you can't FF through VOD.

13. Aug 11, 2019 #13 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My bill for HR54 + Preferred Xtra = $52.99 out the door counting EVERYTHING including taxes. It will go up to $72.99 out the door in the next month or two for at least another 8 or 9 months. And no, that's NOT new customer pricing. I've been a subscriber since 2002. That's promo / retention game pricing.

14. Aug 11, 2019 #14 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    And how many boxes did you have before? You mentioned you also had the PP too? What package did you have?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  15. Aug 11, 2019 #15 of 133
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm in my early 40's and I'd go streaming if I could get everything I want for less then DirecTV. Truth is I can't because DirecTV is willing to play the promo game with me. So I encourage you all to keep moving to streaming so DirecTV will keep playing :D. I'll stay with them til the last sat falls out of the sky if they give me better pricing and better user experience then streaming.

glrush likes this.
  16. Aug 11, 2019 #16 of 133
    TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    The article fails to mention that the swapping of VOD is limited to CBS owned channels. Anyone interested in streaming needs to avail themselves of free trials and see for themselves which OTT services work for them.

DrummerBoy523 and Rich like this.
  17. Aug 11, 2019 #17 of 133
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    7 boxes. Receiver fee: $42, HD $10, DVR $10, PP $8, Whole home, $3, taxes for all above $5 = $78 before any programming. Xtra package and HBO. Now have all the programming minus HBO and overall better functionality.

18. Aug 11, 2019 #18 of 133
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Not true, the only channel I have encountered that does this. The Crap Broadcasting Company CBS

19. Aug 11, 2019 #19 of 133
    TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I commented on this. It's limited to your local CBS affiliate, POP, and CBS Sports and anything else they own. Unfortunately this article takes a familiar path. Going out of their way to exaggerate deficiencies in YouTube TV while glossing over or not even mentioning downsides to Sling. You would think a 1 stream limit on their Orange channels would make it a non starter. Then there is 30 fps on many non-sports channels and an under-powered DVR as an add on. I'm sure it works for some people but it's important to analyze what Sling will cost you after adding packages and a DVR.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  20. Aug 11, 2019 #20 of 133
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Geostationary satellites will remain in orbit for 100,000 years. o_O